Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New basspurchase! HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Söderberg, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey guys, Söderberg from Sweden here. Kinda new on "Talkbass" and this is sort of (?) my first real post...
    Yay!

Well, the Musicman Bongo-basses are really growing on me and in the past 6 months I have sold my entire bass-arsenal (consisting of a 4-stringed Musicman Stingray, an Ibanez SR 3005 with barts and a Carvin RL1000 rig with 4x10 and a 18" sub). Now I got some cash to spend on a new arsenal but I´m confused and deliriuos about what to spend my money on.

Actually, I´m choosing between 3-4 basses:

1. Musicman Bongo (4-stringer with two humbuckers). Cons/pros? Does ANYBODY have any mp3-samples of this bass (except from that testsite on guitarplanet!)???

2. Fender Amercian Deluxe Jazz (4-stringer) with maplefretboard...

3. Fender Victor Bailey Signature

4. Musicman Sterling

....actually I was thinking ´bout the G&L ASAT too but the small body makes me a bit worried about comfort.

Ok, so what i DON´T want in a bass is too much space between the strings. On my Stingray, I think it was a tad too much for my taste. Actually, I like the stringspacing on a Fender Jazz but I don´t necessarily (spelling?) need a Fender if you know what I mean. And on the other hand, I DON`T want the space to be too narrow either (like on the crappy Ibanez Soundgear 3005 I owned for 8 months).

So guys, help me out, and does ANYONE have any mp3-samples of the basses mentioned in this post, feel free to let me hear them.

THANKS ALOT!

//Lars, from the cold, black and icey Sweden

2. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Go back with the Musicmans...

3. As with all the "which basses should I buy" considerations, TONE is at the top. I would vote for #2 or #3 depending on what tone you're after. #2 will be brighter and more of a slap bass than #3, which will be warmer and fuller.

4. hey do

I vote for 2 or 3.

In my opnion,
    MM pickups do not sound as good as single coils. MM are too bright for my taste but effective for being heard or bright slapping. I hear good things about Bongos, but I am still skeptical. The Ray and the Sterling sound the same to me. That pickup is what I don't like.

tak

5. Söderberg

Söderberg

Sep 30, 2004
    Sweden
    ...the musicman-pickups had a lot to do with me selling the bass in the end. Hightech, snappy and great for...only a few things.

I´ve found a used Fender American Deluxe Jazz (black with maple fretboard) and I hope buy it if no one bangs a dualhumbucked Bongo in my head, cheap and fast.

But anyway, does anyone of you guys know when Fender introduced the "posifelx graphite"-thingies in the neck of the American Deluxe basses? I mean, the bass I´ll probably buy has the noiselesspickups but since I (and all of you) HATE neckwarping I would be happy to know if the bass I´m buying has the graphite-stuff in the neck. It´s made (accordingly to the serialno) in 1998-99 (accordingly to mrgearhead.com) but...the guy who´s selling don´t know.

Thanks

6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    go fender jazz... i got one with maple fretboard, and i wouldn't change it for any reason!