Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New BBE Stuff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassstud1, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Have any of you guys tried out the new BBE stuff?
    I'm using a old 383 pre amp thru mu Eden WP1000
    now. Is it worth checking on the new stuff?

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    haven't tried it but there's another thread with a link to a glowing review of the bmax solid state version. it's one of my choices for a new preamp.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I tried a BMax T tube preamp recently. It sounded great. I can't find anything bad to say about it. The tube tone was warm with good definition and punch. The tone controls and BBE effect provide significant variations in tone, very high quality sounding. A little pricey though; close to $1,000, or so?

4. I'll be picking up my BMax next week finally :D as long as someone remembers to bring it home this time:p. now I juat need a power amp.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, sweet, van...i look forward to hearing some clips, but i think there coulda been a couple of things that i would've put on there...a tuner out, and effects [loop] blend control and maybe a DI level control.

6. This is my first reply. I love this site. I have played through Ampeg(SVP Pro), Fender, and Peavey Max preamp. The new BBE BMax is a very good preamp. I played an outdoor function and a huge theater hall. The sound was excellent. I even left all controls flat(according to the manual). This is the solid state model and had all of the warmth you could ask for in a preamp and plenty of head room. I am powered by a Peavey PV 1200. Never turned up past 2 1/2 on both pre and post gain. Very tight for slap bass as well. I was very impress with the sound without having much time to work with it. I got it and put it in my rack and played. Great price and great sound. I would look into it before making any other decisions.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, thanks for the review man ;) can't wait to hear some soundclips on todd's site, though...how's it coming, van? :D

oh yeah, welcome aboard, mister phatnotes!

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Anyone have a solid price on the new BBE units?

For my money, I'd consider a BBE if it was priced around what an Alembic, Demeter, or Kern is. If it costs Aguilar money, I'd go with Aguilar. My .02.

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Well, we did our recording, and Josh is cutting up the clips now. Quite impressive sounds, seem like they'd go great to tape, and VERY thick and meaty. Both Josh and I liked the Bmax better than the Bmax-T though, for the clarity and the tighter lows, but the tube version (the bmax-t) has a LOT more gain and warmth.

Clips go up SOON.

Thanks!

www.basstasters.com

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice!

the Bmax sounds cool, but somebody's gotta do something about those awful looking red jewel knobs. :meh:

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right on! can't wait to hear the clips. is there anything sonically similar to the bbe?

12. I paid $300 US dollars. I will get the name of the place my guitar player ordered it through. Great turnaround since this is being ship from California. The sound will make you forget about the knobs. :)

13. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    phatnotes- where did he order it from? 300 is the best price i've seen for a new one yet let me know please.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I ain't saying where I got this from but here is a quote that I just received:

Not bad for either unit if they are as good as the reports have been claiming. ;)

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...that's all?

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D I feel ya!

17. If they dont crank the price up too much for the UK, it could be not much more then a SABDDI!! and half of what ive seen the peavey max for!

Can't wait to hear the samples!

Andy

18. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Whoa! I must have been misinformed when I was told about the pricing being in the $900s. maybe that's the MSRP? $500 for the T would be OK.

19. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If one were to compare the BMAX SS to an Alembic F-1X, what would the BBE do that the Alembic wouldn't and vice versa? Do the controls make more sense than the F-1X? Would I be doing myself a favor if I prefer a GK-like tone?

Where was that price (PM please)?