Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New BC Rich Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Has anyone had experiences with the new BC Rich basses? I so what are your impressions as to construction quality and sound? I'm particularly intersted in the BC RIch Mockingbird NJ basses. Thanks.

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I've played a few of them where I take lessons just for sh*ts and giggles, and they were pretty inconsistent in quality. They're pretty outrageously priced for what they are.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The new NJ's look very nice on paper: neck thru, flamed maple top, ebony fingerboard...but BCR has never been known as the most reliable company on earth when it comes to good guitarmaking.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Personally, I think the USA stuff is very well built from my limited experience. The newer NJ stuff can be a hit or miss situation but the same goes for Fender stuff as well IMO. Over the years I would say it has been way more hit than miss IME.

I have played around on a NJ Beast and a NJ Mockingbird in the past year or so.

The Beast played nice and appeared as good as anything else in the same price range. I admit I didn't play it for more than 10 minutes or so because of the shape which made holding it in my lap rather difficult.

The Mockinbird was a different story as it is alot more comfortable. It had the same basic feel and tone as the Beast. The only thing I didn't like was the two P style pups. Not because they were bad but I prefer a J at the bridge. I also felt the fit and finish on this bass was on par with other basses for the $$$. It was nice enough I really considered buying it.

Now maybe I'm a little biased towards them or maybe I just look past the BCR "look" and try to keep an open mind but I have liked most of the NJs I have tried over the years with only a few exceptions.

If a Mockingbird interest you, go out and play one. Try it through the rig you have/want and see if it gives you the tone your after. You may find it does/doesn't work for you but you won't know until you try it.

5. Thanks for the advice. It's a bit tough finding a BC Rich in Australia. But most of the opinions I have read seem to be negative. However I had also read several negative comments on the Ibanez Iceman. Contrary to the advice I tried it and bought it and love it. With the exception of the balance problem its a great sounding and playing bass for my tastes. I think as bass players we are now spoiled with the amount of gear available and have become way too fussy. I think most basses that you can grab off the wall in any music store are workable and produce a decent sound provided that the player knows what he is doing.

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Where in Australia are you??? I have 2 BCR's and i have a friend that has an older NJ mockingbird. You can try mine if you like. Its actually quite funny, they are essentially the same bass, both Warlocks, but one is a platinum series and the other is a US series. I think you could probably guess which one is better.

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Its the same way here in the US. The only BCR basses you ever see are the cheap Bronze series Warlocks. Luckily the store I deal with actually will get in different models from time to time.

I have been dealing with those negative comments for years with my BCR basses. I have two NJ's, an Innovator 4 and a Virgin 4. I love them both and will never part with them.

I couldn't agree more. :D

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I have an '82 Rich Wave bass (see sig) which I love. Played with a new band last night and got a lot of compliments on it's sound as well as it's looks. ^_^

I've heard that the newer ones are really hit or miss. If you're going to buy a newer one, play it in a store and be sure it's a good one, or you might get stuck with a lemon.

:bassist:

9. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hey klocwerk, have you talked to the guys on the BCR forums? They can sometimes track down more info for you. They are kinda busy right now getting ready for NAMM.

Nevermind captain ;) .................. :D

Extremely nice Wave BTW! :bassist:

10. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Thanks!

Yep, they were very helpful tracking down what info i have. Not much more to know about it at this point really. need to edit that page. ^_^

:bassist:

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Most of the USA series guitars I've seen have been really nice. Maybe not nice enough to justify the money BCR wants for them, but still really nice.

The other stuff, well my old guitarist had an endorsement with BCR for a few years, he NJ Warlock was really sweet. There's probably some equivalently nice NJ basses around, but I think you own both of them :)

12. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I couldn't agree more! I priced having a USA Virgin four string built (black w/ebony board and white binding) and it was going to cost me $2900! :eek:

Hey now, I never said mine were as good as the USA stuff. :) I wish they were. My two just happen to be well made and play beautifully. I have an open invitation for anyone from TB who wants to play my BCR basses so they can judge for themselves. Thats how confident in them I am.

edit:I only have one ready to play as the other is being refinished.

13. I'm a little confused. When you refer to the "USA Series" bases are you talking about the "Handcrafted Series"? So if I wanted a USA Series bass I would have to order a custom bass?

14. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    my friend has a warlock guitar, and ive played around with an NJ beast more times than i can count, and apart from an odd buzzing in the first four frets on my friends guitar, they play great. nice wave klocwork, that thing is awesome.

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Basically yeah!! Good luck trying to get a shop to get one for ya. You'll probably have to pay the full ammount for it first.