New Beatles recording of "Let it be"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  2. Let It Be--Naked is going to be a bit of a cheat.

As I understand the various announcements (particularly the one at the Beatles website), this is simply Let It Be wihtout the Spector production touches. A better name for the album would be McCartney's Revenge--he always despised what Spector did to the tapes, especially on "Long And Winding Road."

So what are we going to get? According to the Beatles site (which also has a picture of the cover art), we will get Let It Be, minus "Dig It," "Maggie Mae," and the snippets of conversation between tracks. Replacing the two dropped tracks is "Don't Let Me Down."

So what's the point? The Let It Be album consists of songs from the rooftop concert ("Dig A Pony" (slightly edited by Spector), "I've Got A Feeling," "One After 909"), "doctored" versions of two singles ("Let It Be" and "Get Back"), pretty raw versions of "For You Blue" and "Two Of Us," and the "produced" tracks--"Long and Winding Road," "I Me Mine," and "Across The Universe."

So what will ...Naked give us? Presumably the same versions of "Dig A Pony," "One After 909," "I've Got A Feeling," "For You Blue" (w/out Harrison's "encouragements" to Lennon on the solo) and "Two Of Us"; the already easy-to-get single versions of "Get Back" and "Let It Be"; the similarly available "Don't Let Me Down"; and "clean" versions of "Long and Winding Road" and "I Me Mine" (already available on Anthology III). As far as "Across The Universe": Spector slowed down the "wildlife fund" version available on Past Masters Vol. II, so what will the "clean" version be? That version without bird noises? Or the Spector version without strings?

Even assuming it's the latter, this "new" album will be foisting all of one "new" (actually little more than a remix of an existing track) song for $15.00 or so. Is Paul really that greedy? Is Ringo really that hard up for mechanicals (as, with the deletion of "Maggie Mae" and "Dig It," he will have no writing credits on the disc)? Would any of this have happened if George was still alive?

Those interested in hearing a true Spector-less Let It Be should hunt down a bootleg called Get Back, the album as originally intended and mixed by George Martin and recorded by Glyn Johns. The songs are more ragged than what Naked will probably have, but the performances are lively and honest. "Trousers down" Beatles, as Lennon once remarked. Skip Naked.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Thanks for the heads up. I love those types of recordings that feature "in the studio" happenings.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, Paul does have that new wife.

Excellent post, Steve; you laid it all out perfectly. You have discouraged this Beatles' nut from plunking down another $15. Thanks.
    Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the Let It Be DVD to appear...

The 'naked' "The Long & Winding Road" can be found on Anthology III.
  5. No sweat Jim. I'm here to serve.

I'd also like to see Let It Be on DVD.

I note that Naked will also feature some of the same sort of stuff we've had for years on Sweet Apple Trax and other boots. I daresay Paul will not be releasing the parts of the session where he was singing two new songs, "Commonwealth" and "White Power." ;)
  6. It's too bad that the 'Let it Be' sessions are not available on VHS or better DVD.
    I last rented 'Let it Be' in the mid 80's, rented it many times over. It has long since been out of circulation.
    Billy Preston played his heart out, and served as
    as a bit of a buffer between Paul and John.
    I liked the way the tunes sounded without the benefit of the million and one strings..naked was definately better for this recording.
    Paul and George yipping at one another over how to play one tune, the occasional nasty looks given over to Yoko by Paul.

Looking forward to buying this for a good listen.