Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bee Basses Design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyliee, Jun 26, 2004.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Fred is coming out with a new design. Here are some shots of the prototype. I've already put an order in for a neck through six string model. I had a chance to see some early sketches at his place and was totally stoked.

I've asked for this with a curly or flamed redwood top and matching headstock, mahogany and maple back, maple with purpleheart stringer for the neck, gaboon ebony fretboard. For electronics we're looking at Delano, although Villex has my interest too.

What do you think?

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Is this the "Drone" model that they said was "coming soon"? on heir web site?
    I love their designs (not this one as much) but I just wish the site was updated more often than it is!!!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A bolt-on singlecut, huh? Looks pretty cool. Looking at the picture of the rear, does it look to anyone else like the treble side of the neck widens out more than the bass side, so the shape of the neck is more of a scalene triangle than an isoceles one?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that's because the extended upper bout is actually connected to the neck all the way up, so it's covering part of the upper edge of the neck.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001

If you look at the very center strip of maple that is right in the middle of the two inner most purpleheart strips it appears to be a wedge which is not real common, common being all neck laminates running parallel to each other. That may be the cause of what you are seeing.

6. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002
    You are right John. The bolt-on single cut creates a bit of an illusion by covering up the upper edge of the neck. I must tip my hat to JP for inspiration to do this prototype as a bolt-on SC. The standard model will be neck-thru (unless I suddenly get a bunch of requests for bolt-on). I will have a double cut available too.

You are correct as well, Peter. On my laminated necks, the center section is a wedge. This probably adds to the illusion.

Apologies for the lack of updates on my site... due to some glitch in my Microsoft Frontpage program, it hasn't allowed me to update it for a long, long time. Therefore I have had a new site done, and hope to launch it within a few weeks.

The Drone, aka "miniBEE", is a 3/4 size version of the worker. The new site will have pics of it. This one is tentatively named the "thunderBEE".

Fred
    BEE

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I love the design for the upper...well, I would say horn, but it's not really a horn as it's a SC, now is it? I just find that particular shape to be a great alternative to the normal curves.

8. Na, not a fan of the body shape. I do like the bolt on single cut though.
    Thanks
    Troy

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks for mentionning me Fred. Although I think Kevin Brubaker was the first to build a bolt-on singlecut.

I love my Zia model. I've done some mods to it concerning the bolts location, adding one at the end of the upper horn, just like you did on this thunderbee.

Keep up the good work!

Peace,
    JP

10. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    :eek: *GAS* :eek:

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a pretty cool looking bass there dude :)

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I've also noticed that you laminated necks end at the headstock. why do u use a single piece head? Is it something you don't support, or people usually don't ask for this?

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Chris Stambaugh had done a bolt on singlecut six for me years ago. Smart guy. He just so happens to have less visibility in the public eye.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fred, I'm looking forward to seeing the new site. Please let us know when it's up. I'm definately keeping my eye out for more info on your basses.

15. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002
    I like to experiment with different species of woods for the headstock. Changing the mass of the headstock will have an effect on the tone of the bass. It's just another thing I can do to shade the tone one direction or the other. An Ash body with an Ash headstock is my favorite combination.

Fred
    BEE

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What is it that you like about the ash body/headstock? I'm definately intrigued.....

17. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002
    Thanks! I'll let you know when its up and running. It will be SO nice to have a properly functioning site again!

18. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm a HUGE fan of the old Ash bodied Stingrays from the late '70s. I just love that snappy, funky tone they had (that big humbucker was awesome too!). Adding the Ash headstock seemed to give me just a hair more of what I love about that tone. Gave it a touch more intensity.

I'm going to try to attch a pic of the first bass I did it on...

Ash body
    Curly Ash top with Ebony pinstripe
    Ash headstock
    Ebony 'board
    Maple/Purpleheart neck