Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Behringer pedals...great deal or junk??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Has anybody seen Behringer's new line of foot pedals that are essentially exact copies of existing effects (mostly boss units) but are made with plastic casings and cost way, way less?? Anybody do a comparison with the originals or have any experience with them? I simply want to know because why would we pay 3-4 times the price for exactly (or close enough to) the real thing (???). Thanks.

2. so far what i seem to hear on the board is that they are good, but i'm still a little skeptical

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've heard good things too, but I can't really buy Behringer. I just don't feel good inside.

4. Sorry moderators...I just read the "Behringer Lawsuit Threads" notice after, of course, I posted this one. I wasn't looking to start any controversy.

5. you can still ask people what they think of them if you want :) we just can't comment about what we think about Behringer's business practices...

6. I bought my girlfriend a Behringer Hellbabe for her birthday.

It's a ridiculously sweet pedal. Q control, two fine-tuning knobs (signal shape, and a mini-frequency control), 20 dB boost. It's also optical. Heavy duty casing.

It also costed 34 USD shipped. ;)

7. i'm kinda waiting for behringer to copy boss' AW-3, because i kinda want one, but not enough to pay 50 bucks for it!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No prob. Actually, we welcome threads like this, it's what the forum is about! (Just as long as you stay away from legal and moral issues -- we just step on stuff here, not think about it ;))

Anyway, as the resident Big Muff lover, I've taken the liberty of ordering myself a Behringer VD1 (Big Muff clone) to compare. I'll report back to you guys on Christmas ;)

9. tplyons got the VD!
    hehehe

ok, i'm done...:)

10. I only have 4 pieces of Behringer gear. Midi switch, a crossover, DI box and a lead checker. Both the DI box and the lead tester have silly errors with the battery covers. As a Manufacturing Engineer they look like design faults ( you can't open them without unscrewing other stuff).

I think the crossover works. The Switch peddle is just plain confusing. Also the steel is cheap. You wouldn't want to drop either. My boss flanger is as tough as a house brick. My DOD chorus is tough and the battery compartment has a sprung catch.

So all in all; I don't like the stuff, but I still use it. BUT An inline box? If the intention is to change the batteries and stomp on it............Caution!. Nothing can kill your signal path more dead :crying:

11. Ahh I have been waiting for someone to purchase this, I am hopefully going to get it after christmas. I am hoping it will give me a tone like on Mic Check by Rage Against The Machine when used with a zoom Ultrafuzz :)

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ahha, another afficionado - I only have the one, but it's decent: 1977 USA series 3, with the op-amps. Supposedly not the holy grail of muff - Smashing Pumpkins fans might disagree - but noticabley F.A.T. nonetheless. Always used in a parallel fx loop so there's no bottom end drop-out :)

chris/bass/idoru

13. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the posted sound clips so far sound pretty low-quality. definitely a far cry from stuff that is still in the sub $80 range from companies like ibanez, boss, ehx etc...

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just recieved some stuff for my rig I had on order, included three Behringer pedals: BDDI, Bass Limiter/Enhancer and Bass Chorus.

My first impressions on build quality:

The BDDI looks decent enough; even though it is a plastic casing it seems sturdy enough it would survive some gigging. The pots feel of decent without any extra rattles, although slightly uneven on response. I'd say, if you don't have a DI-box already, then next time you're out shopping CD's or earplugs, drop $35 on this one - seems enough to make a soundtech happy if he requires one.

The pedals, then.. Well, they are under $20 a piece, and it kinda shows. The plastic casing isn't that impressive, I'm bit worried about the switch that has only two plastic bolts holding it on. I wish they would had made it with similar switch than on BDDI - it actually might be underneath the hinge. The worst thing on it are the pots, which feel very cheap, even rattle a bit when you shake them. Now, if these effects work well for you, you might buy one and expect to replace the pots and get you a cheapo gigworthy pedal.

I'm taking em to band rehearsal this week, so we'll see how they sound (and hold on) then.

15. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I dunno how effective that will be, as the zoom is obviously a fuzz...But no harm in trying.

I get that tone perfect using a Boss ODB-3, Original Marshall Guv'Nor (Both are overdrives) and a 105Q. Sounds really good.

16. Didn't get a chance to try it with bass, unfortunately. :( I'll borrow it off her sometime. ;)

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've not bought any pedals, but have owned several peices of their equipment. They have an 80% failure rate with me.

18. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Just looking at them they seem like crap. At the music store in my area they're 1) NOT behind the glass like every other pedal (that should tell ya somethin') and 2) they're packaged like somthing from the dollar store!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

When I bought my HighGain it was either that or the plastic behringer one. The HighGain may have been 2x as much but at least I know I won't be returning it in a week.

But thats just me. I don't mind spending alot on pedals.

19. EternalRest

EternalRest

Apr 22, 2005
    I have the BDDI. Excellent for the price. Might have to pick me up a Hellbabe...

/has huge GAS for a wah.

20. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    at 20 dollars it would have to basically sound like rotting meat hitting the side of the wall for it to be bad... im seriously thinking about getting one