Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Benavente in progress pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zonwon, Jun 13, 2004.

1. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    This is a Vintage Vortex model. Alder body with a stunning quilt top that I supplied to Chris. Laquer finish. 5 pc. maple neck with block inlays. This one will have the new Benavente Pickups are spec out and made by Kent Armstrong with the Benavente logo. These are the Benavente Pickups and the only Pickups they offer now. A dual coil and a J. This is Benavente #4 for me. This should be a funk machine.

This forces a 219B up for sale! It is on TB also.

2. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Outstanding!!! That looks killer!!!

(Chris, the blue is nice... I like blue :p )

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Looks great! I've been hoping to find a pic of that pickup combination...very seriously considering it for mine.

5. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    :-o!

beautiful!

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nice! That has the potential of being one of the best looking Vortex basses yet.

Is that 219B a "Funk Machine"? :eyebrow:

JB

EDIT:
    I just noticed that the Vortex is a 4-banger!
    Now I REALLY like it! Will it be 34" or 35"?
    Why did you opt for the armstrong pups? And in that configuration? Why not have two dual coils?

7. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    The new one is 34" scale. Benavente is having their pups spec'd out to Armstrong now. They are the "new" Benavente pups. They will also have the Benavente logo on them. I wanted the combo of a dual and a J. My last one has dual coils and my fretless has dual J's.

8. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    The pics show the 219b that is for sale. It is the one with j pups. The other is my main bass. It is gorgeous!!!

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The Wide in the Neck and the Slim in the bridge is something we started doing to give the best of both worlds. Everyone or at least a lot of people want the bite and growl of a J style pickup in the bridge position and the thick P sound in the neck position however a dual coil is more well rounded and even then a P. So I came up with the idea of using a Slim (Jazz) and Wide (dual coil) as a combination for the best of both worlds.

Haven’t ever seen anyone do this setup, so its kind of our little special setup like lakland did with the MM and J only I think this performs much better and truer to a Jazz and P bass with a little more thickness. There are a few Benavente’s out there with this pickup setup and among those, Tad from Blues Traveler, and Al Caldwell’s is setup like this on all three though his quilted 9 also has an added guitar pickup on the high string’s he can roll in and out. This is Al’s little signature setup with added Midi system on the other two.

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Maybe I'm not understanding something, but Warrior has been doing this for years. See pic.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, that’s kind of the same. They are using a MM pickups which won't give you anything like a P because of string coverage. Its also pushed closer to the center of the instrument which is to fit the MM in a P position center. A dual coil will give closer to a P sound but a little thicker because of the string coverage area.. The reason the dual and the P sound somewhat a like in the neck is because a P is split so the coverage isn't straight like a J nor is it sharp sounding like a J its thicker like a P. We do Offer a Split Benavente P pickups for 4, 5 string and up for someone wanting the traditional P.

But the warrior layout is close to the idea. Now that you post that I think they have been doing the J MM in reverse for a couple years.

NOT TRYING TO SPAM, but heres a couple J & dual setups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Gorgeous looking instrument, zonwon! Congrats.

May I ask a question here, while we are on the subject of pickups and dual-jazz vs MM? I've been wondering about this: what is the sound difference between a pickup with one large polepiece directly under the string (MusicMan style) and a pickup with two smaller polepieces side-by-side and the string in the middle (JazzBass style)? All else being equal?

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything, just curious.
    thanks

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    elros

Hey man, it’s not really anything special between the two just different design methods. There is also the long rod design, which runs the length of the pickup.

Our Benavente Slim pickups actually have 3 rods that run the length of the pickups. This is what allows us for our Slim (jazz style) coil tap for series/parallel/single coil. Most Jazz style pickups don't have this flexibility. The long rod running the length of the pickup also eliminates week spot if you bend off center of the Pole like on the single or dual pole for each string will.

14. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    This bass is incredible.

15. zonwon

zonwon

Jan 21, 2003
    Michigan
    Check out the new pups!!!