New Benavente, new specs!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Dec 28, 2004.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    New Year's Resolution...NO MORE GEAR IN 2005!!

But with that one thrown out the window :p ...I talked to Brian Barrett today; I have had a Bene Vortex 4 string on order for about a month, and found a really nice piece of amboyna to put on there.
    As the case with many who have ordered a custom bass, I ended up with a change of heart in the specs. It was going to be an alder/maple/amboyna Vortex. I started surfing around the Low End site in July, and have had a thing for this Vintage Vortex in Daphne Blue with a maple board...alder body, maple board, trad jazz styling (but up a few notches on the evolutionary ladder :D ). So, today I pulled Ye Olde Trigger on that color combo. It's gonna be:

4 string vintage vortex
    alder body (5 string body size...I dig a larger body)
    birdseye maple board :hyper:
    Daphne Blue (freakin' SEXY color!)
    pearloid pickguard
    matching headstock
    3 piece neck
    chrome hardware
    supah-small frets
    rounded fretboard edges
    traditional shaped J Benevente/Armstrong pickups
    33" scale!! --After playing a 33" scale R Bass for a while, I have totally and completely gone ga-ga for 33" scale length...EVERYTHING I was looking for! Quick, punchy, quick..(did I mention quick? ;) )

It's going to accompany 2 new 4 string Nordstrands which will be here in 2005
    light swamp ash NJ Nordstrand
    birdseye maple board
    trans red high gloss finish/matching headstock
    F Bass preamp
    Nordstrand dual coils under maple covers
    pearl blocks
    small frets
    chrome, baby...CHROME!!

alder NJ deluxe
    crazy spalted maple top
    gaboon ebony board
    SE humcancelling j pickups under maple covers
    small frets
    TBT Hipshot hardware...maybe black?

Since I'm a technological neandrethal, could someone here post a pic of that Daphne Blue bass from the Low End site? Puh-leeze?!? Give me your opinions on the color combo! I'm totally DIGGING the look!
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    That is a very sweet color... That's all I have to say. I don't want to become the munjibunga of Benaventes. :ninja: :help:
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Oh, NO NEW GEAR was sarcasm...phew.

33" scale, daphne blue? Pass the cheeba this a way, bra! I need a hit of that stuff you're smoking! :D

Nah, looks cool.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The blue's not bad, but to me, the Amboyna top would excite me much more than the traditional painted bass bodies, so my vote would be to make another change and go back to the Amboyna top...I bet that would look stunning!
  5. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think with two exotic topped basses coming, the retro bass will be an excellent compliment to Matt's arsenal. Plus, vintage styling is the one thing Nordstrand doesn't really offer so it makes sense to get a retro Benavente and enjoy the exotic Nordstrands. The blue is strangely growing on me.