New Benavente on the way!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yup...I'm excited!
    I've had a Benavente Vintage Vortex on order for a while now, and over the weekend I started checking out the bolt-on singlecut D shape that he makes, and I decided to "upgrade", if you will! It's going to have:
    alder body
    bolt-on "D" shape
    GORGEOUS spalted maple top
    33" scale
    birdseye maple board
    abalone block inlays
    small banjo frets
    jazz bass nut specs
    brass nut
    Benavente wide pickups
    black hardware (maybe gold---I dunno)
    rounded fingerboard edges

I tried to post a pic of the bodystyle, but all of the ones on Brian's site (The Low End) are all too big. Can someone here help a brother out and post a pic of the D shape singlecut bolt on?
    I should have it sometime before Christmas (God willing) depending on circumstances. :D
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

here is the one from Chris' site

I'm finally swayed by the single cut too.... I've got some killer figured Bubinga, Butternut & Wenge that will someday be a bolt neck SCD
  3. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I am quite excited about mine as well - it'll have an Amboyna burl top (pictured), a bit like this one. But mine is a six-string fretless Vortex.

Jacochops, is yours on the list? Which one is it?
  4. mtirey

Aug 9, 2005
    Dayton, OH
    wow...congrats jacochops! benavente basses look so nice. i'm jealous. i wish i could try one out :cool:.

5. Excellent choice! Although I like the 'B' type slightly better, the 'D' is still a great body shape and anyway you can't go wrong with a Bennie! :hyper:
  6. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Is it this one? Fantastic top wood, that is.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Cool, all the best with it.
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice... the D-shape is my favorite!

here is my dream Bennie (photoshop mock-up):
  9. well, that's jacochops name, I'm pretty sure and it is his specs, so I think we have a winner!
  10. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Yup...that be the spalt!!
    Man...I'm digging the photoshop mockup in do you think red stain over the spalted maple under clear gloss might look with the maple board??
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's the plan for the Benavente I'm planning for...wicked spalted top, blood red with high gloss finish, SC, Maple neck....Although I'm thinking a stabilized spalted maple board from Larry @ Gallery Hardwoods...Should be extra nice!
  12. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i just placed my order for Vortex 5 too :!! :)
  13. Sounds very sweet! I love the looks of a single cut as well.

Post some pics of the top if you have them.
  14. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    There are new construction photos available on the low end website. I think I found yours - it's on the top pf the pile here:
    It's very nice! I bet it'll look even better when it's finished!
    BTW: Mine is in there, too; look among the headshots for a six-string with Amboyna Burl topping. :)
  15. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I'm FIRED UP!!! Nice top! I can't wait to see the finished product!! Brian and Chris are the heat!!