New Benavente SC-4 arrived today....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Dec 7, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I traded for this Benavente...It's in a class of its own!
    - Aero pickups and U-Retro preamp.
    I haven't fully assessed it yet, but so far it scores:

- Sound - 10
    - Action - 10
    - Playability - 10
    - Balance - 10
    - Size and weight - 10+
    - Customer Support - 10
    - Craftsmanship - 10
    - Levy's Gig Bag - 9.99 (The gig bag is sweet. But there's way to much "heart" in the Benavente to trust in a gig bag.)
    - Fit and Finish - 9.9 (Head on battery compartment screws too small. See comments below.)

- This is one of those basses that make you want to get rid of the others. Very Nice! :)

- I don't know what happened, but somehow I ended up with two extra basses. ;)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Nice bass! Very warm, natural look to it. Now send those two "extra" basses to me! :)
  3. beautiful, as were every other benavente i've seen
  4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I believe I've played that very bass. If so, it's real nice.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    One serious horn there cat ! ;) I feel like i have to join the spalted maple club (i wonder if you get a card ?):D
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, you get a big wooden one :) You wouldn't want to give it to anyone, but it's still good "in the pocket". :rolleyes: :D
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very, very nice. Congrats!
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Is that a U-Retro preamp? How do you like it?
  9. Really nice. Love that top, and the number of strings. Enjoy!
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder

Glad you like it.

The case was chosen by the previous owner, normally they come with a HSC!

As for the screw, not sure I understand but I'll be happy to fix it if I can just let me know.

11. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

- There's nothing to "fix" with the screws. What I'm trying to say is that IMO either the screwhead needs to be larger or the holes in the battery cover plate need to be smaller. I believe the logic was to make the screw flush with the coverplate. I suggest making the holes smaller and using the same size screws. (or 1/8" longer if needed). And besides, I'm probably the only person in the world that would comment on a good screw ;).

- The gig bag is nice. (I updated my initial assessment.)

- As always, here's a pic:
    (Brand-x on the left, Benavente on the right)

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    Ok, cool!

I don't think the idea was to be totally flush other wise flush mount screws would have been used.
    He was basically trying to inset them some so they didn't stick up as high as brand X did.

I'm glad everything on the bass is working out for you. Keep in touch and if there is ever anything Chris or I can help with ask.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Again, a great photo. Oh yes, the bass it nice also.;)
  14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    I have to agree, that is a great photo. I need a good picture man....... need a job :)
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Probably the sweetest single cut Ive seen!

Killer axe, hope you enjoy!

16. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    You offered a hardcase with the bass when I purchased it, but told me the Levy's bag was original to the bass, lets get the story straight.
  17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    New Benavente SC-4 arrived today....

Gee whiz JB! Show some respect to the Modulus! The new hasn't even wore off and you've replaced her!:D
    That is one nice looking bass! Love that spalted top! Such a shame that it's a 4 string!
    You don't think that Fodera copied that body style do you?:p
  18. Benavente

Aug 14, 2002
    As for the screw holes being larger than the screw, there are a couple of reasons for that. The back plates that I construct out of wood are at least twice as thick as the universal plastic that is use for cover plates. Wood when it gets too thin likes to warp and crack when you tighten the screws too tight. By setting them deeper, the countersink part of the screw bottoms out when snug, thus minimizing the chances of cracking the cover when tightening it. Also, I could have made them sit flush, but then after you completely rubbed the plating off of the screw, you get 'RUST' after a period of time.....The color of the screw will last longer because it's not being rubbed as bad. I try to think out every detail prior to building an instrument. By the way, I'm pleased that you like your new baby.........
  19. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the features/qualities of the U-Retro? I'm familiar with the J, but not the U.

Also, does anyone have any pictures and/or comments about the Vortex model?
  20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Only difference between J-Retro and U-Retro AFAIK is that the J-Retro has all knobs and switches mounted on a standard Jazz control plate, whereas on the U-Retro there is no plate, the pots have short ribbon cables that allow the controls to be mounted through holes directly in a bass body.