Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Benavente specs:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Aug 5, 2004.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A few of you here know that I've been working out a new Benavente. Now I have specs for you, and can proudly say the order is underway.

5string 219B 24fret 35"
    Wenge neck-through (maple stringers)
    Wenge fingerboard
    Mahogany body
    Dyed Burl Maple top with matching headstock
    Black hardware
    Black pickups
    Benavente Wide/Slim pickup combo (wide at the neck)
    Benavente pre with series/parallel switches
    12th fret block inlay of maple from the cap

Woohoo! The excitement begins!
    Unfortunately, to get this bass, I had to give up my 1st Benavente, the only archtop guitar Chris has done. It was the 2K series hollobody pictured HERE and HERE.
    As sad as it was to see that one leave, the new one arriving in appx. 6 months will definitely replace the emptyness left inside. :D

2. Congrats dude!! I've been waiting about 5 months for mine... I think it's going to still be a while.

Anyway.. sounds like your new bass is gonna be killer!!

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Congrats!

The wait won't be that bad. I think? :meh:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    w00t! Sounds like a cool bass coming!

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Nice choice going with the 219 body style. I have one and just love the feel and balance of the body shape. Definitly an underated body style.

What color are you going to dye the top?

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Outstanding choice!!! The 219B is a great design. Mine still amazes me everytime I pick it up.

7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The top is already dyed sort of a copperish color. Here is a pic:

edit: looks like Brian already took the pic of his site of available tops. :D :hyper:

8. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks for the kind words, Hippie. Yours was part of the inspiration for this bass.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads Adron, sounds like you are going to have a very nice axe, you will get over the Gu*tar in time. ;)

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Just send me the guitar any time you like...;)

:bag:

Beautiful bass, sounds like it'll be great!

11. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks, Kevinator. I know you've wanted specs on this for a while, and I'm happy to finally share them!

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I may be able to do it just having sold my Vortex 5 :):):)() but depending on monetary status in a year or so, I am contemplating a 219 5'er myself in the future... I'm thinking a MM in the bridge with all the usual MM trimmings with a p-bass like soapbar in the neck (a'la our very own Mr. James Hart's fretless 51 6'er). Think Spector meets Lakland, and that should do it! I'd have basically everything covered tonally between my VV5, my piezo/magnetic equipped fretless SC being built, and then the possibility of a 219... WOW!

*Sidebar* I was wondering: How do the 219's balance strapped on? The upper horn seems a little short to me... Otherwise, they are stunning instruments! :confused:

Anyways SCS, seems like a fantastic instrument you've got in the works there... I think Chris can do no wrong and he seems to be getting better with each instrument he builds! BTW, what are you asking for the archtop? My brother may be interested although it's probably a bit out of his league... (*EDIT: Nevermind, thought you were still trying to sell the guitar. I'll be allright some day.) :rollno:

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The 219 is actually the only Benavente bass I've played (though I've played probably a dozen of his guitars!), and I, too, was skepticle of the body shape, but it's amazing in person. It actually felt perfect. I expected all the wenge and ebony on the neck of the one I played to cause a little dive, but it never moved. I spent hours on that bass, too.
    I like your Soapbar/MM idea. I was considering a MM in this one, but I'm gonna go with the sort of "signature" Benavente.
    Sorry, the archtop is gone. That's the only way I was able to go ahead and get this underway.

14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Cool... I will already have the signature Bennie tone nailed with the fretless, and a vintage/Bennie combo with my VV5. The 219 I'm thinking of will hopefully just tie up all the loose ends. Have you sent your specs to Chris? If so, when do you expect it to be near finished? Should be very cool when it is completed (but you already knew that)... :smug:

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool! I love the P spot dual coil! I've always favored playing the bridge pickup but to listen back ALWAYS prefer the thicker P and Jazz or Rick neck pickups tone. By going with just the one, I'm able to force myself to use the tone I *really* want to use.

I'm planning a LowEnd Jazz fretless 6 (Chris builds them) to run as a spare/alternate to my 51 fretless... I'm thinking trying a dual coil in both neck and bridge maybe :smug: if not I'm going to go split P/J.

I flirted with a piezo bridge for my 51... but I'm glad I didn't, it's got the perfect voice to me :bassist:

Congrats again SCS! that 219b should kill