Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bergantino cab with svt-cl--cant get a good sound..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdsi44, May 3, 2005.

1. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    ok, i have a new svt-cl and a new bergantino nv425.....and i played through it tonight and could not get a good sound....what am i doing wrong? i play through a sterling and a bongo....please help

2. sounds like a killer setup!

what exactly about it sounds so 'wrong' ?

3. +1 on the killer rig. The only thing 'wrong' is that you should be a heckuvalot louder and clearer and punchier than anyone in your band.

Tips: set all eq's on the amp flat, the bass flat, don't use effects right now...make sure your cab is plugged into the 4 ohm output of your amp, make sure you've got a fresh 9v battery in both of your basses, turn up and rock.

Flat should be a completely usable tone for any situation. With minimal tweaking of the eq's, you should be able to dial in a kickass sound.

fine print - if you can't get a good sound from that rig, it's YOUR fault, not the rig...unless there's something broken and you don't know it. sorry.

4. I might disagree. Some people like warm deep bass type tones, and others like absolute glassy type highs. Its really preference.

But i definitly agree on starting on flat, and adapt the EQ where needed.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    What kind of tone are you looking for and what tone are you getting now?

6. well...okay, but if he truly wanted a 'glassy-type high' tone, I can think of about a thousand options other than an SVT through a sealed cab with a 15. Plus, you can get a glassy-type high tone through that rig with not much problem, especially with a Sterling and Bongo.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    You might consider contacting Jim about this and seeing if he can help direct you. I think you will find the All Tube SVT head might not be a good match. I can say that I've had a couple SVT's through and their dirty grind Tube sound didn't mix well with the Berganitno clear clean sound. The NV series might work better with the SVT.

EDIT ; Just reread and noticed you are using an NV. Contact Jim and see if he has direction, otherwise go to a music store and try some different heads with the Berg or different cabs with the head.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You need to mention what it is about your sound that you dont like. Thats definitely not a rig geared towards slapping and zingy modern sounds. As far as big, fat, thick and loud you should be able to get that in spades!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well put.

The NV425 cabinet is sealed and has no tweeter... it sounds different from most cabs on the market today. I suggest giving your ears time to adjust, and trying the EQ suggestions given above. Good luck!

10. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Definitely! I just picked up an NV 610 myself and I needed a little time to adjust because I was using the ported tweeter HT cabs previous. I am truly amazed at the high end the NV speakers are capable of given that its a sealed/tweeterless design.

The gain knob on the SVT-CL makes a big difference in sound. I would set the gain as high as it will go without distorting too much for your tastes. Then use the master for overall volume.

11. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    big, fat, thick, loud, and WARM.....thats what i want in my tone....i played through a nv610 and it sounded great...i went out on a limb and got the 425....maybe it was just me ears last night.....i tried everything flat, and the 'thump' just wasnt there.....im playing a gig tonight so we will see what happens....any other advice...im open....thanks guys

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The 425 shouldnt be all that different from the 610. That setup should be able to get you the sound you want. If you are looking for big thump then look into some flatwound strings. I have two basses - a P with flats and a J with stainless rounds. I cannot get any thump out of the J with rounds but the P with flats defines thump.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I heard a Older SVT through a 610, 215 and the 425.

Each Cab was very different. Personally I loved the sound of the 425. I'm Constantly thinking of selling my 2 ht115's and getting one.Then I play my Rig and think "Why Change that?"

Aj

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I envy the fact that you got to perform such a cool A/B/C test! I haven't yet heard the 215 or 425.

The reason I went for the NV610 even before trying one is that I loved the vintage SVT rig I used to run, and I wanted that sealed box sound without having to haul a big heavy 8x10. I don't own a vintage SVT head, but the NV610 gets me close, especially with an RBI or SVP-Pro.

Andrew, my deepest apologies to your wallet, but I don't have your dilemma because I currently own some Berg HT series cabs in addition to my NV610. I don't use 'em all at once :eek:... if I'm feeling old school I use the NV, if not then I use HTs. :)

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The first thing I thought of when I read this is Mesa 400+! When I owned an SVT-CL, I used it with the Ampeg CL 810 (forget the actual model number) and it always sounded aggressive in the mids, tight on the bottom and loud. But "big" "fat" and "warm" were not descriptions that applied to the tone for me. Methinks the combination of your Bergie and the Ampeg may not be the best for what you've stated you want. The Bergie is, all things considered, rather flat and revealing for a "vintage-style" cab. Have you run that SVT-CL with other cabs besides the NV610? Might just be that this combination is not the best for what you want. And I'm not sure you'll ever get the tone you describe from an SVT-CL!

In any case, good luck.

16. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    well, there is good news....i played last night with my bongo, and all i can say is wow! i guess the other night i was just used to my ampeg cab sounding like crap....i must say the the 425 just smokes....the sounds were deep, full, fat, clear, puchy, and yet warm and old school. i dont even know if thats possible or if it makes since, but it does to me. and im happy. all i can say is if you get a chance to play a bergantino, i HIGHLY recommend it.....ive played through all of the following cabs, and loved each one for different reasons....nv610, nv425(i own), ht322, ht210, ht115.....check em out!~

17. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats... but what exactly did you do differently this time around? New amp settings? Was it THE BONGO?! :eek:

Let us know!

-T

18. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bongos sound awesome and so do Berg cabs! :bassist:

19. [​IMG] 's rool.

20. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, I used to play those in my band! And now, I'm back to it, but this time, it has strings, pickups, batteries, and can be swung like a baseball bat!

:bassist:

Or can fly off into outerspace, depending on your opinion... :p