1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New BETA iOS App [DISCONTINUED]

Discussion in 'TalkBass Mobile App Support' started by paul, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    ... And before you get too excited, let me say that this is a very early beta. There are many, many features missing and undoubtedly some bugs.

Here's what you CAN do with this version of the TalkBass App:
    • View forums and threads
    • Post new threads and replies (no image upload available yet). To reply to a post, swipe it to the LEFT.
    • View recent activity and "new posts"
    • View, create, and reply to private conversations
    • Receive push notifications when you get an alert
    And here's what you CANNOT DO with this early version of the TalkBass App Beta (there's a lot):
    • Search
    • Navigate past the first page on forum pages (ie you can't get to page 2+ of the Amps forum etc).
    • Change any of your account settings
    • Upload images
    • Post new classifieds ads (technically you could, but you cannot upload any images...)
    • And more...
    We obviously wanted to get this out to TalkBass members as soon as possible, so as a result TalkBass is one of a few select forums that are participating in this beta process. Your patience during the development of this app is greatly appreciated. If TalkBass is SLOW in your mobile browser, you can use this app to read and post in the forums and enjoy faster load times. If you want the full TalkBass experience, you'll need to stick to your mobile browser for now.

Here's a quote from one of the app developers that gives a rough roadmap:

Basically, we wont be adding major additional features before going live (scheduled in January 2017). Our main focus will be finishing the android app and delivering a solid product.

Next week, we will publish a new release covering mostly bugs, a new design for the thread page and a couple of new minimal features. Censoring posts and limiting logins to specific user groups has also been finished but wont be shipped with the next release as it needs more testing.

We will try as much as we can to finish new and additional features before the release date, including: users page, image uploads... better post parsing (youtube, facebook, twitter, etc...) and others, however we cannot commit to anything. All this depends on the bugs we discover, our priority is releasing a solid product as i said before.

Once we go live, we should be able to ship new features regularly. Ideally, we should be supporting most of XenForo native features.

Joe

Please post in this forum any bugs you find. For now, please refrain from posting any "missing feature" requests, as we're well aware of most all of the missing features of this beta ;)

Thank you!

TalkBass on the App Store

Paul

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    jwr, kulit17, winterburn69 and 15 others like this.
  2. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    The hard work is very much appreciated. This is a great first step. I'm very excited to watch this app progress.

paul likes this.
  3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    It looks good so far, but I noticed once you click on your alerts they're gone. So if you go into one alert and then go back none of them are available to be selected again.

paul likes this.
  4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Sweet! This is great news!

5. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Very cool!!

6. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    :)

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    This should be fixed now :)

Duder and funkybassplayer like this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I can tell its def a beta ver. But I'm very happy you guys have decided to offer an app again. I always really enjoyed the app and when it ended I was seriously disappointed. I did however get used to the mobile site as you guys made a really good, and mind IMO, successful effort in moving all the traffic to that medium. But I still do miss the app and I'm very happy and excited you guys decided to bring it back! Cant wait for the final ver to go live!!!

I will post my thoughts on bugs here moving forward. But it's kinda hard to when there isn't a lot to do, uploads and so forth. It's very plain. But I get why. Either way I report here if I find that it's buggin out at some points.

paul likes this.
  9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    nice!! thanks guys!

10. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    How's it going with the app? Any bugs to report? (if you haven't read the OP, note that there are many features missing that will be added in the months to come). :)

funkybassplayer likes this.
  11. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    Haven't really noticed any bugs so much as just those missing features you mentioned. Easy navigation. Looks good. Excited to see the next update!

paul likes this.
  12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Very cool, thanks for all the hard work!

As I'm just starting on an IOS app for our band, I wondered did you go for Objective C or Swift?

13. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Can't wait. Loved the old app

14. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Sub'd

It seems to work well. I'm using it now to post this, so I can watch this thread. I'm looking forward to getting the updates.

15. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Nice to have an app back!

Thank you so much for this again!

tumblr_mlj1pmkgVD1snq9u9o1_500.gif

16. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Major bug alert!!!!
    No Android version.
    RQQa_f-maxage-0.gif

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 There are at least two times the number of Android users but we always get everything last?

SunnBass likes this.
  18. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Apple made us do it. :cautious:

Seriously though, Android should be out in the not-so-distant future. The developers are focusing on the Android app, rather than adding new features to the iOS app.

kulit17, KUETSUM, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Thank you Paul.

20. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Excellent news. I'm switching to android for the first time at the end of the month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.