1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bicycle day!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I decided that I needed a cheap bike to run to the mini-mart and nearby restaurants while at work. Well I ran into goodwill and grabbed the best looking one out of the group.

I ended up with an old Marin Palisades for $20!!!

CAF72633-4ECD-4877-889B-9E9DD13FF1AE-5029-00000498B6A9DA10_zps59bea788.

35FCBCD4-3A48-40F7-AD2D-600D4517065E-5029-00000498CF1396AB_zps3fd314df.

FF0336AB-3123-4E2C-9ED1-6824C91B2F76-5029-00000498D6EEC038_zps76905c11.

2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    sweet! look at that fork......nice bike.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Looks like a decent modern bike in good shape.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    UAB... Urban Assault Bike. Needs through bolt axel and seat clamp for parts preservation...

5. That's a quite decent bike for $20. IMHO, it would be worth it to spend a few more dollars on maintenance: lube the chain and cables, true the wheels if necessary, adjust the brakes and shifters. Yes, that will cost more than you spent on the bike, but it will run a lot better.

6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    and you'd still come out with a good deal.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I'll be taking it back home next weekend and doing all of that. The derailers don't currently work, so if I can't get them functioning I'll just take them off and find a good gear to leave it in.

So far my list of work is:
    -New brake pads (squeals super loud)
    -New chain (this one is rusted beyond help)
    -Swapping the tires around (they're both on backwards and the "front tire" is on the back wheel)
    -New grips
    -brake levers that dont have the shifting stuff built in (only if I can't get the derailers to work)
    -Straighten out the bent pedals

I'll check the wheel trueness too, but it didn't feel bad at all while riding it. They're still the stock wheels!

So far I am really loving this bike! Research has shown that It's one of the Chromoly framed California manufactured ones from the early 90's. The geometry and riding position feels like the bike wants to be going super fast!

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks!:) I'm loving the color scheme. My BMX bike from way back when was similar colors. And I guess these forks and wheels are pretty sought after? Saw some mention of that while researching. Probably just Internet BS:p

9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    As a curator of old bikes, I always enjoy chipping in, though it looks like you know what you're doing.

I'd guess that the bike spent some time parked out in the weather, but was not abused too much while riding. If that's true, then the derailers are probably OK but just need to be unfrozen. Also, it means that sunlight has taken a toll on parts such as the brake shoes. I'll bet some oil and less than 50 bucks will have you back on the road. Even just freeing up the chain will at least make it ride-able while you wait for new parts to arrive.

I've switched to shopping online for bike parts. A couple weeks ago I found a NOS chainring for the obsolete but working crank on my old road bike that's now a three speed. I'd shop locally, but all of the bike stores in town have gone boutique, and are even reputed to sell things like parts and accessories for above list price.

10. Derailleurs not working are IME usually caused by dried-out, gummed-up grease in the shifters- ocftn remedied by squirting WD-40 or carb/brake or contact cleaner into all accessible nooks and crannies, letting it soak, blowing out the excess while hitting levers/buttons, then lube w/tri-flo or.similar.... OR rusted/frozen cables; these would need replacing

11. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Classic,, Sweet.

12. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for chipping in! I have built a couple BMX bikes and repaired a couple things on my current MTB, so I know enough to get in trouble:p What online stores do you use? Danscomp is the only parts website that I know, but it's kinda pricey and BMX oriented.

I sprayed some PB blaster on the chain to free it up and to break the seat post loose (it was stuck at a super tall setting). I'm probably gonna hit a shop tomorrow or Monday and see if they'll sell me some cables for cheap and maybe a better seat. The mongoose one that's on it now is a nut buster.

The derailers do feel frozen, rather than broken! I'll see if some WD-40 or PB blaster will free them up and go from there once they're actually shifting.

13. For $20 if it shifts, stops and is comfortable, you did great.

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Is that a Biopace crankset?

p.s. nice score!

15. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Biopace??

What a great example of trends... There /Gone/back again.what the new version that the roadies are using? IE Wiggins?

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For online stores, I've used Niagara Cycle, but have also had great luck with Amazon and even eBay. I'm usually not interested in waiting for auctions to end, and the parts that I'm dealing with are cheap, so I look for "buy it now" sales.

Unfortunately, the cost of bike tools can add up. It's worth asking around to see if you've got friends who are into bikes, from whom you can borrow some of the more specialized tools. At the very minimum, a chain link tool is going to be necessary unless your chain happens to have a master link.

17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks!

I'll check on Monday! It's at work right now, I've been using it for running to the store and back. I'll take some more close-up pictures of the individual things when I get it home and start tearing it apart:D

I just ordered cables, grips, brake pads, a new seat, a brake lever and a chain breaker since I will have to cut a new chain down to size. I'm going to remove the front derailer and just run with the back one for now (if it'll even work, if it won't then I'll be using the brake lever for the rear brake and making the bike a fixed gear with no front brakes)

I am going to be taking a CNC programming class this term, so I'm thinking it'd be cool to make some new pedals out of scrap 6061 that's laying around the shop I work at.

18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks for giving me a parts resource! I ordered some cheaper BMX style stuff from Danscomp because I know the territory and what's going to hold up in the long run. I'll definitely use your place and EBay for the street specific stuff.

And my buddies are into BMX bikes, so they just have those tools (as do I). I plan on having road bikes for a long time after getting a taste of this one, so I'm investing in tools as they are needed.

19. redwookie

redwookie Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Chicago
    Cool bike. Nice find!

FWIW, a front brake gives 70% of your breaking power. Try to keep them both.

Fixies are great as long as there is no wind, or hills, or your blood sugar doesn't crash, or you're not pulling a load (i.e. trailer with amp/bass). Just sayin' : )

20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks!

I have a car for the cargo carrying, thankfully :)

I'll try to keep both brakes. But honestly, I never use brakes except for turning. Then it's only the back brake. Most of my riding experience is brake-less street style BMX. The rear derailer is hopefully going to stay, though. I'm too out of shape for single geared bikes right now haha.