New Bigger Amp vs. Better Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Welcome to my dilemna.

I need some advice from bassists who have been 'round the proverbial block once or twice to give a relatively new guy like me a bit of advice.

Most of the music I play is praise and worship at school and church. That's alright I guess, except it's boring. Anyway, I've got two things I want/need to do:

1) Get a 6-string bass: Recently I've started reading up on chord theory and I've begun to transfer songs from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (I'm not nearly done) onto sheet music (not tabs, no way) so I can play them without having to memorize 16 minutes of music from scratch.

So I want to get a 6-string bass, probably a Cirrus. Fretless or Fretted doesn't matter really, but the amount of strings matters to me. However, I'll be playing this stuff through a 50 watt amp, which basically means loud enough for my room.

2) A bigger Amp: Either of these with come after the other, but if I plan on playing bigger gigs than 150 (and that's really pushing it) I'm gonna need something with more volume and punch than my 10" 50W amp. It would probably end up being a 2x12, but since I want to have a pretty well rounded rig, I'll want to get a separate head instead of a combo. So that's going to be X much for the cab and Y much for the head.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks for your time.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depends on what you want to do.

If you have decided to hit the woodshed for the next year or so, get the Cirrus.

If you want to start gigging more, you'll need a bigger amp more badly than a new bass.
    That Spector is not too bad.

Try buying second-hand. From what I've heard you can get used Cirrii pretty cheap used in the U.S:
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm with JMX. If you see yourself gigging soon, get the amp first.

In fact, here's a good mantra: buy what you NEED before you buy what you WANT.