New Billy Sheehan DVD's- anyone got them?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Wasn't it the man, Mr.Sheehan, himself who said in a bass magazine something along the lines of
    "Books, Cd's, Dvd's, all of them are good, but I think the best way to learn is by ear" in 101 bass tips?
  2. Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... but can anyone recommend these? I have been wanting a good video that shows some technique and I am a big fan of Sheehan. Are these any good?
  3. lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    To be fair, I have not seen these. But it's a pretty safe bet that these books mostly cover aspects of his technique. I doubt that it offers a lot of instructional value to develop your ear and help you grow as a player (but again, I do not state that with absolute certainty). Jeff Berlin has often said that just because someone is a smoking player, it doesn't mean they're a smoking teacher. Billy himself has admitted over the years that he knows very little theory. To be sure, he is the best rock soloist out there, but if you're looking to learn about music theory, I'd start elsewhere.
  4. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand

Totally agree.
  5. Well I mainly want this video for technique. I really am not expecting to learn any theory out of it. I learn my theory from developing my ear and studying different songs and patterns and then learning scales. I don't have a teacher though and I was looking for a good video that would teach me some 3 finger technique and stuff. I am guessing this is a good video since it is Billy Sheehan. Are there any other alternatives that would be better for technique or is this a safe bet?