1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Birdsong Models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greggster59, Jul 4, 2012.

1. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  2. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Yea I'd definitely like to check out the Embrace I like that it's 32" scale and really like the price.

[​IMG]

Not sure I love the body shape of the Corto2 and notice Scott changed the shape of the original Corto. I think I like the original shape better but I'd still love to have a new one. I think that Corto2 will sound great with those Armstrong pup's.

[​IMG]

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Saw the Embrace while I was there a few weeks ago. Cool little axe, very light, extremely well made, as is to be expected from anything made at Bidsong. I'll probably order one later today.

4. Scott makes great stuff. And he's also a great guy. There are lots of good builders out there, but not all have good personality & people skills. He's one of the cooler ones. So is Nino.

5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    10% off if you order one today :D

6. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. Scott, Jake and Brady are some of the nicest, more gifted and colorful characters I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Buying an instrument crafted by them is only part of the experience. They truly make you feel like family, no less. BTW, already ordered one of their "8th anniversary" Embraces. Thx, "Bandit", as if I needed another one!!!

7. I'm curious as to why there is no tone control on The Embrace...

8. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Number 3 is mine! (out of a limited run of eight). Heading back there next Sept, will take pics!

9. EIGHT? Wow.

Sorry Birdsong guys, and please remember this is just one guy's opinion, but the Embrace is not attractive at all. I like Birdsongs a lot and the Corto 2 is a beauty, but the Embrace looks like a Loog kit to me.

It probably plays and sounds great though. I just can't embrace the look.:)

10. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Ordered a c2 this morning.

11. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The "8th anniversary issue" run is limited to 8 axes, one for every year. They'll have Texas Mesquite bodies accentuated with turquoise, and ebony fretboards. Mine's #3/8.

The look is much better in person, trust me. The headstock grows on you. It's small on purpose, to aid with balance.

I also have my eye on a Brady Muckelroy masterpiece! So much for keeping GAS under control!

12. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I hear you. I'm trying not to order an Embrace as well.

13. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    @ jbossolo....the bass you had your eye on has sold:( Good news is this: If you still want one, I can build you one just like it. Send me (Brady Muckelroy) a private message or just call me up. The # is on my website..Talk with you soon. As for the Embrace....you guys need to play one of these. They play effortlessly! That's how I build 'em;-)

14. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I knew I should've just left you a deposit right then and there, Brady! I'll give you a call soon!

15. Looks great![​IMG]

16. I would consider the Embrace if it had a Hipshot bridge like other Birdsong basses or if the floating wood bridge was longer (extended 1 to 2" more on each side). It looks too small for this bass. I'm also not sure if I like the oval pickup route shown in the prototype. I hope the others will be routed for the actual pickup dimensions. Adding a tone control would also make it a bit more versatile. Lastly, the option of maple for the fingerboard, bridge and nut is a bad idea...not dense enough. Ebony is the best choice.

I was also considering a Fusion or Cortobass, but for the price I'm leaning more toward a Malinoski bass. It's more versatile and original.

Attached Files:

17. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Love the look and concept of the Corto 2. I wish I could try one here in the UK.

18. It appears the new Cortobass design provides a stronger, more substantial neck pocket. I never liked that so much of the squared off proximal end of the neck was just hanging out in front of the body (looked very awkward). My guess is that owners of the original Cortobass may experience stability issues around the neck pocket over time. Perhaps that's the reason for the change. ...A good decision by Birdsong.

19. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I hope not.

20. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    Anyone know if the embrace has side dots, I am excited either way! ...this, the embrace, may be all I need in an electric.