Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bjork - Medulla

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 30, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    WOW. I'm listening to Bjork's new album, Medulla, right now and it's truly incredible. It's almost all human vocal sounds...some of them sound very electronic. Most of it is in icelandic too. BUt man...had I heard that it was all vocal (with the occasional synth or piano here and there) before I listened to it I never would have expected such an incredbile album. Some of the guests on the album are Mike Patton, Robert Wyatt, Rahzel, a Japanese beat boxer named Dokaka and lots of others. This album is all over the place from throat singing to beat boxing to ethereal dark-worldish sounding choirs but it really is incredible. If you're a Bjork fan then this is great. Fans of beat boxing would probably appreciate it too because there's some pretty incredible and electronic sounding beats going on but it stays musical without getting focused on the "novelty" of cool beat-boxing.

brad cook

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I listened to it a while ago, and I think it's amazing. I think I might buy it soon.

3. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Dokaka is on it?? I didn't know that. He rocks. Even though most of that album sucks. Like most of bjork, it's always hit and miss. hahahahhaaaaa.... did anyone see that snl with her on jeopardy? "I put my knickers in the oven and ka-blewy! Music comes out!"

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think Bjork is hot. Talent = sexy.

I must buy this album. I must wait until bank account recovers from King Crimson overload.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't find her hot the least but I love this album.
    She's unique and truthful.
    It's not very common in the show business these days.
    Dokaka was previously known for his vocal covers of rock hits such as Smell like teen spirits or Paranoïd.

6. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    W00t! One of my favorite female artists.... Post was pure genius IMO. Even if you dont care for her music, you gotta give her props for authenticity..

BTW, check this:

http://www.bjork.com/videogallery/

7. whats Mike Patton like on that album, cause hes a f.cking genius.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I cancelled my Rhapsody not long after this thread but I finally got this CD for Christmas from the wife and I'm still digging it a lot. "Where is your line?" is a freaking cool song. I love that.

brad cook

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Bjork is most superb. This disc shall be mine, soon.

I think her accent is really cute, it sounds kind of Scottish almost.

10. Bjork is much like radiohead, no? :hyper:

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No. Bjork is not really like anyone.

brad cook

12. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I agree... Medulla is an outstanding disc. My favorites are still Post and Homogenic, but as always, Bjork is an absolute musical genius.

13. Bjork is much like the Fantastic Plastic Machine. Yes . :bassist:

14. I ve got the Album and I dig it. It can get kinda freaky thought when youre listening to it while youre trying to sleep.

I always thought Bjork would be awesome with the hey-day Blue Cheer backing her. Dunno Why , just thought itd be cool.

15. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Bjork escapes definition. By the time you think you've got her figured out, she comes out with a new project that makes you say ***!!

This is what I find most attractive about her music. You aren't really buying the album to hear songs that you know you will like. It's more like you're actually checking in with an artist who is creating art for art's sake and getting a peek at what they're currently into. Very refreshing.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I just saw the Triumph of a Heart video. It was great.

I have to buy Medúlla when I go to Reykjavík (next week).

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ooooh..video. Too bad I don't have cable so there's zero chance of me catching this on any music channel.

You mean it wasn't issued to every citizen by the government?! They're getting lazy over there! :p

brad cook

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Really getting into this album.

Absolutely ****ing amazing.

That's all I can say.