1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Book "Total Jazz Bassist"

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by Dave Overthrow, May 28, 2007.

1. Dave,

Thanks for posting. Sounds like you covered all the bases. I am looking forward to shedding your new book

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm very interested in this book. But, I'm also staring at a stack of other books at home that I have not completed.

Can someone who now has the book tell me anything about the depth of the chapters of interest I list below?

Basically, the front section of the book, while looking extremely helpful, contains material that I do have in many other books:
    1-Basics, 2-Technique, 3-Vocabulary, 4-Scales, 5-Chords,
    6-Major Scale Harmony, 7-Minor Scale Harmony, 8-Chord Symbols,
    (14-Scales for Dom 7 Chords, 19-Funk and Fusion)

Without actually seeing the book, it looks like the playing doesn't really begin until Chapter 9:
    9-Walking Bass Lines, 10-Rhythm Changes, 11-ii V I Progression,
    12-Minor ii V i, 13-Minor Blues, 15-Walking Lines on Common Forms, 16-Soloing, 17-Latin Styles, 18-Bebop

Can anyone tell me how many pages are applied to the chapters
    between 9 and 18 listed above, and comment on the depth and effectiveness of that material?

Thanks.

[I'm sure I'm going to order this book in the next 5 minutes :) but I thought it would be helpful if someone could comment.]

3. I'll give you the page number of the start of each chapter... I leave it to you to work out how many pages each chapter is.

1 - 6
    2 - 11
    3 - 13
    4 - 21
    5 - 36
    6 - 38
    7 - 41
    8 - 43
    9 - 45
    10 - 60
    11 - 66
    12 - 69
    13 - 73
    14 - 75
    15 - 80
    16 - 87
    17 - 96
    18 - 100
    19 - 106
    App A - 114
    App B - 120
    App C - 122
    App D - 124
    App E - 126 to 127

not sure about depth and effectiveness as I'm a newbie at Jazz Bass.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Took me a bit of pondering :) but the book is now on order.

Looking forward to it.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The book came. I skimmed it and listened to the CD.
    It delivers in a big way.

It does a really nice job of progressing from the basics to the meaty money lines. One step at a time.

Lots of fun lines and solo excerpts.

Great job.

6. Just ordered it from Amazon.

7. Frank, Glad you're digging the Total Jazz Bassist book. If anyone gets it from Amazon, feel free to post a review. If you have any questions send them along.

Best,
    Dave

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I got it from Amazon. I'll go post some comments there now.

9. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Voorhees, NJ
    In my school, our jazz ensemble's pianist asked if I had any books with cool basslines he could learn on piano, so I tossed him this. He digs it.

10. Evangion

Evangion

Jun 22, 2005
    Just picked up this book from my local music store. I've been playing bass for about 8 years now and haven't much jazz education (although I love to listen to it).

This book is wicked! Now if I can just get off my lazy arse and start working at it.

11. Let the playing begin. Have fun!

Dave

12. awall

awall

Oct 30, 2006
    David. I got this book about a month ago. I didn't realize until today that you were on here. This is an awsome book that has got me thinking that I can play jazz again. I come from a drumming background and have been playing bass for about three years. Jazz is the only genre that was still holding me back and now I am currently putting together a new band. It has really helped me in my blues band putting together some new lines and my walking is way better.
    Thanks for a great book.
    Al

13. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    I discovered this book several months ago at Barnes & Noble (in store, not online). It's one of the best I've ever seen. The explanations of harmony, chords, and musical theory are very clear, and the CD makes it all come alive. Nice job!

14. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Just ordered :)

15. gdthomas

gdthomas

Oct 26, 2007
    Smyrna, Ga
    David,

Just wanted to give you props for a great book.

16. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I meant to order this a while back and totally forgot about it. Glad this thread got bumped. My copy is on order now.

17. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Just got it in this morning. Looking forward to going through it this evening and then will add it to my practice routine.

18. Hey man, Thanks for the words on the book. I'm glad you're digging it. I see you dig Bruce Gertz. When I was younger I hooked up with Bruce while attending Berklee. I like the way he plays.

Best,
    Dave

19. Hey man, Let me know how it goes.

Dave

20. gdthomas, Thanks for the props

Dave