New Book "Total Jazz Bassist"

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by Dave Overthrow, May 28, 2007.

1. I'll probably pick it up, learning jazz now. Also, I'm a better writer than a bassist, and I'm thinking about writing a book on bass. Any advice? You can PM or respond here. I don't want to distract from the original intent of the post.

2. CrackerJackLee

CrackerJackLee Guest

Oct 30, 2008
    I bought this book a while back and have been enjoying it ever since. :cool: It's great for the novice or experienced player as it delves into so many aspects of bass playing. With both music and tab there's plenty of musical examples with fingering. I like to choose a page at random and dig in. In that way it is also a sort of handbook. No matter what I'm into at the time, I can find something in there that relates to it. And well thought out, Dave, as it saves me from making notes and manuscript. (Actually I shove any notes I have into this book, because it covers everything. :bassist: ) - Nice price, too. Thanks for doing it.

3. Good to hear you're getting a lot out of the book. It also serves me well as a step by step sequential guide to teach jazz bass playing to my students.
    -Dave

4. CrackerJackLee

CrackerJackLee Guest

Oct 30, 2008
    I was speaking for myself at this point in my life, but indeed, I wish I had this book 40 years ago because it's a keeper and explains the mysteries. It's logically organized from start to finish and would take any novice from tuning, theory and reading to a very high level of playing different styles and improvising. Certainly a book that will last a lifetime.

5. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Going quite well. Been using the approach of building up a line element by element and it really helps me put the whole thing together and still keep my place in the tune.

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You can see the TOC on Amazon.

7. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I looked at the book today at my local bookstore. The first several chapters are for beginners. You are correct in that for an experienced bassist/musician looking to get into jazz playing, new and useful information doesn't start until Chapter 9.

8. BluesWalker

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The latter chapter topics don't go real deep. I look at is a introduction survery course to get you started on the topics.

9. BbBlues

BbBlues

Jan 6, 2008
    Saratoga, NY
    Got the book yesterday. It gets a 9.5 out of 10. I take off .5 for not including jazz waltz or 3/4 time.
    I wish I had this 20 years ago when I was learning the basics of jazz.
    I have a high school student who is going to benefit from this great book.

10. Hey Bb Blues, Thanks for comment on the book. Good to hear your using this resource with students Keep passing the word. If I had another chapter I would have included the jazz waltz. Maybe in the next book?!

-Dave

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Picked up the book a few weeks ago after thumbing through it at B&N. So far, as someone who is very new to playing jazz, I am finding that it's been helpful in reviewing many of the same things my instructor is covering in my one-on-one lessons. Thanks for the great resource Dave!

12. David,
    I did get the book very promptly, but I did not mean to convey whatever was implied by my prolonged delay. I truly enjoy the scope and content and progression very well. I enjoy having CD tracks (migrated over to my iPod in a jiffy). I am still internalizing early portions of your content, Modes specifically, but I can see how this is going to really kick things up a few notches for me.

It's been a rough 12-18 months, but also noted by my gigging weekly. I play a church venue, not paid, but nonetheless very, very robust. The two pianists are the leaders of overall everything, and both are heavily into jazz, and increasingly, jazz and gospel swing are gaining momentum. Both pianists are pushing me for the jazz side progress from me, and the drummer needs my influence in very desperate fashion.

Now been gigging nearly every weekend since last August. That's the short story. I'll convey more of the long story when I've progressed further.

The breakthrough I need is dependent on a Zon Vinny I ordered ONE YEAR AGO and still await, so that I can practice during rail commuting and at the office. :) I'm gigging a Barker, and it kicks (well, it does well), but can't really carry that on a train.

Thanks. I truly enjoy the book, and it's my primary source of personal study. I truly enjoy and increasingly depend on where this book is taking me.

-Vince

13. Dave this is one of the best books I've ever worked through. Really a great job and thank you.

14. Hey man, Thanks for the comment. Lots of material in that book to help players get jazz vocabulary under their fingers and helpful ways in which to apply the knowledge. Where are you from?

15. Dave,
    I'm in western NC...between Asheville and Charlotte. hope you do some more instructional material in the future.;)