Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Boomerang: When? Price? Any Info?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Have heard there will be a new & even further improved Boomerang. Anyone have info?

2. I'll look forward the hearing about it. I upgraded my original on the last round of upgrades a few years ago. I love the ease of use and features, but find it way too noisy for anything but practice use, and it really seems to degrade the original signal somewhat when 'bypassed' also. I hope that improves.

3. where did you hear that?

4. whoa whoa whoa whoa.... what is this "BOOMERANG" you speak of?

5. It's a digital phrase sampler/looper... very easy to use. Just Google boomerang and their very informative site will pop up for you.

The only downside IMO is that they are a little noisy... i.e., they can hiss a bit when using them directly into an amp.

Very nice though... you can create loops 'on the fly' that last minutes, and punch in overdubs as you play... very cool.. and the layout is very good for live performance.

6. ahh kool
    Cheers :)

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, problems are noise... and price. It is too big and too pricey.
    My usual rant about loopers. You can get a 2 hour mp3 live recorder for 15 bucks these days.
    Technically, a looper isn't much more than that.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, Claypool uses one IIRC, and so does Trey Anastasio.

9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    [​IMG]

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I posted on here a while ago about a new one in the works. I remember 'vastly reduced noise floor' being one of their big improvements but I forget all the other features...search time.

11. Jazz Ad

Now that's an indepth argumentation :rolleyes:.

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    it was that, or a thousand words.

I think that comparing a pocket MP3 recorder to a looper is so out of the realm of serious discussion that it can't be anything but a troll. Please, feel free to design a real time looper, the hardware interface, the firmware, the audio routing, external control... and do it at a usable quality for live performance and recording. No glitching when starting/stopping/overdubbing/punching-in allowed. Industry standard musical instrument/mic inputs and outputs, please. Now make it so it doesn't rumple like a soda can when you step on it. Multiple memories accessible by multiple controls. I'll give ya 3x your $15 baseline. I look forward to it.

13. Jazz Ad

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If somebody is interested in a Boomerang, talk about the Boomerang. If somebody's talking about Boss vs. Line 6, don't talk about Korg.

15. Jazz Ad

Which is exactly why I pointed to the older thread rather than digressing again.
    As for the Boomerang, most has been said already and I can't but concur. They're very user friendly units live but too big, expensive and get noisier as long as you add layers. I'm impatient to see the new model though.

Last time I checked, a forum was about exchanging experiences and opening to different views and alternatives. Think about it.

16. i believe jazz ad is still talking about loopers...he just changed the subject to the fact that many of them are much more expensive than what it appears the technology is worth...jazz ad is right, an mp3 recorder can do much of what other phrase samplers can do...record something and play them back...thats what an mp3 recorder does, and thats what a boomerang can do. Actually a lot of loopers do that, they put all their loops on a cd, or into some kind of memory and just play it back during the proformance. I've seen it done...heck the digitech jamman is very similar to an mp3 player if you think about it, because you first record the phrase, you can put it onto your computer for storage...later you put a recorded phrase onto your jamman and hit play whenever you want to play it back. that sounds like my mp3 player sans the recording...thats even what a few tb'ers do, i know there is a guy on here who has that slide guitar part on whole lotta love on his looper and just hits the play button whenever he wants to play it...you can do that with an mp3 recorder as well...its virtually the same technology...

back on track to the boomerang, I'd be excited to try the new one...personally i have trouble with big floorboards and pedalboard and try to keep everything rackmounted so i can use a midi pedalboard to control everything, but the RC50 and the rang both might be too cool to pass up a try!