Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bootsy bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zink182, Feb 20, 2006.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't see why it's not a good thing.

It's got an Aguilar 18V preamp and Seymour Duncan J pickups.

I played some Traben basses at NAMM last Summer and they were unifromly nice instruments.

Of course, there is the whole visual aspect, but that's so highly subjective that it really doesn't merit discussion. I mean, you either like a bass with a giant metal bridge with shooting stars up the fretboard, or you don't. I mean, it is Bootsy Collins...

I'd certainly pay $1000 for one of these before I bought a Washburn Space Bass for $3K....

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How many more endorsements is he going to sign? For some reason, I had a look at Washburn's site yesterday and discovered that they also made a Bootsy bass (which, oddly enough, only had 2 J pickups instead of the like 4 pickups I've already seen on a bunch of different Space Basses).

3. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    So not a bad thing. As long as the build quality is good this sounds like a really nice instrument.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Those wild basses definitely say Bootsy baby....Bootsy.

-Mike

5. Yeah, we already had a topic on this about 2 weeks ago... Search feature is your friend :D.

-ryan-

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yeah but the Space Bass......is the Space Bass baby. :smug:

I'd pick one of these up if I had the cash...

AuG

7. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002

I've liked Bootsy ever since I was a teen in the late 70's but that where it ends for me - in the 70s.
    I see Bootsy hawking everything from DR strings to Michael Kelly Acoustics (yea right, Bootsy can't live without one!) and now Traben - please! It's evident to me that since he can no longer sell a significant amount of CD of his own, this is how he now pays his rent and that's cool, more power to him, after all this is America; I just find it funny to see how obvious he's made it.

Long live Bootsy!!!!

KT

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Kind of makes him honest - doesn't it.

9. Traben instruments, aesthetically speaking, are atrocious.

They do sound nice though.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I agree with that. I do think they are a tad on the heavy side as well. At least the couple that I tried were. OTOH my son thinks they look really cool. Then again he is 12 :rolleyes:

11. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    What a crappy thing to say. Yeah, I can tell you're a big Bootsy fan.

Jealous much?

12. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Traben and MK are distributed by the same company (also OLP, B.C.Rich and Kustom). I met Bootsy at their booth at NAMM this Jan. He's got Star Power to spare & he can still kick it. Played the basses too. So did I. Trabens sound good, but not my cup of tea re: looks, weight, neck. I bought a Kelly though. Nice bass. Very good value.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    He also still sells plenty records, especially overseas.

14. I always liked Traben bass shapes

but I just can't stand their finishes

I figure if bootsy had to get a signature bass, it should be from Traben. Cheese meets cheese

15. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    He just seems to have taken on sort of a used car salesman flavor to me. I don't like seeing my boy go out like that is all. Remember, I'm not the one who brought up the subject.

I'm not hating on Bootzill, the rindstone rockstar of a doll baby buba... wind me up!!!!!

Traben, Washburn, Michael Kelly....