Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Borknagar... Due out June 2004... Without Tyr?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Mar 16, 2004.

1. From http://www.bnrmetal.com/ :

Work is nearing completion on their next album, Epic, tentatively set for a June 2004 release. It will not feature bassist Tyr, who has amicably left the band. Drummer Asgeir Mickelson will record the bass parts for the album.

I can't wait to hear that! But it's really sad Tyr has left... I wonder what kind of bass work Mickelson will do? He has quite big shoes to fill...

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Tyr is awesome. Wonder why he left and what he's gonna do now.

Wonder if somebody pulled a Count Grishnak and offed him?:D

3. We don't see him too often around here (he's a supporting member of TB, username "Tiwaz"). I also wonder what he's up to.

Where are you Tiwaz?

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Drat, that really is too bad... Empiricism had some great bass work.

Still, Mickelson will probably work out just fine. ICS Vortex was no slouch on bass either, so I'm pretty sure the quality assurance will be in place... ;)

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Wait... are we still talking about the same Tyr?

That's awesome.

6. Cool avatar, Adam! Do I see the beginning of a new trend? :D

Eyescream, yes, I'm talking about that Tyr. :)

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! I was indeed inspired by your own!

Perhaps it will be a new trend - although it has come and gone before, it was one of the better avatar trends!

8. And I was inspired by JT's! :p

9. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    When I first started playing in the band I was met with the prospect that the band wanted to tour a great deal, which was what I wanted. I love to tour. I had just recently "recovered" from the depressing situation with Emperor quitting, (the whole Satyricon deal is a chapter I just wanna forget, I never felt comfortable in that band) when I got the offer from the Borknagar camp to join them. So, I was really ready to go play alot of shows. But of course, as circumstances would have it, tours were cancelled, postponed etc, so during the 3 and a half years I was in the band, the whole gigging part of it became a really draining affair for me. The last year and a half I've been totally uninspired, depressed and basically, just lost.
    So, with "real-life" kickin' in (bought a dump of a house that I spent half a year rebuilding, hehe), the whole deal kinda slipped for me, and we came to the conclusion that it would be better for us all that I'd leave the band.

But, I won't be gone for long (well, all is relative...:p ) , I still have my other band, Decode (with Asgeir Mickelson), fast and furious Tech Metal.

Erik Tiwaz (aka Tyr)

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's good to hear your moving forward Tiwaz.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hi Tiwaz,

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out and that this has been a low point for you.

Thank you for sharing the story with us - you have quite a few fans here and we'd be interested to know about your future projects.

Cheers!

12. Glad to hear some news from you, Tiwaz. :)

Looking forward to hear Decode! :bassist:

13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    yeah, asgeir mentioned it on another forum.

is there any chance that it'll be published on cd? or is it just your "personal playing field"?

14. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Well, we can hardly keep this stuff for ourselves , can we...? :p
    But it will take some time, we're still in the writing process.

15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    im sorry for that things didn't work out for you, i liked and i still like your bass work on empiricism, very cool bass sound to!

btw, didn't you use a Ibanez BTB bass on empiricism?

best of luck in the future
    very best regards Jonki

16. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    I used my Neuser Courage fretted 6 stringer and Lars Nordberg's (Spiral Architect) Ibanez GW1 fretless 5 stringer for the recording of Empiricism.

17. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    cool! :cool:

jonki :bassist: