Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new boss bass synth SYB-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrewd, Jul 21, 2004.

1. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Didn't the old one have tracking issues? I wonder if they have that licked in this model.

3. you beat me to it. I played the syb-3 once at a guitar store, and i couldn't do much with it. i didn't really like it. the tracking was horrible!

Charlie

4. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll express cautious optimism :)

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just to go way off did any one read about the RC-20XL 16mins record time!!!!!!, undo function, from what I read it seems you can do this per overdub. Can any one say mini echoplex :D. How long till these things are out in the US and UK because i'm this close to buying a DL-4 but that RC-20XL seems to fix all my problems with the RC-20

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Unless Boss made the tracking way better than they used to, I'd be wary of it. I have a GT6B that I like, but the synth just dosen't track like the Deep Impact or the cheaper Digitech synth pedal.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'll bet anyone here any amount that it sucks **** from a cat's **** through a straw. :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

9. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just curious if anyone has tried this yet?

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Given all the complaints about its predecessor's less-than-impressive tracking abilities, you'd think Roland would have mentioned something about an improvement in that department for the SYB-5.

I'll express cautious skepticism.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What everyone else said about tracking issues... Solve that and they might be onto something.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO, a DX-7 is cheaper and sounds better :)

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Musician's Friend is currently selling these for $239, and they have a few sound sample links for demo purposes (but funny how the sound samples at the Boss site doesn't seem to be up and running).

The sample sound bytes for the SYB-5 kind of sound like patches in my Akai Deep Impact, but you can't really tell if it still has a tracking problem. Even at the discounted price, this pedal might be a bit pricey. For those that are price-sensitive, it would be interesting to A/B this new Boss pedal with the lower priced DigiTech.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's the SYB-3, not the SYB-5, up at MF. I don't think it's out until November

I do WANT this to be a good product, hopefully the tracking issues will have been resolved

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I stand corrected David. Must be my old age and poor eye sight! :D

The MF samples sound a lot better than when I played through a SYB-3 at a store long ago.

16. die_Heavies

die_Heavies

May 19, 2003
    i know this is a newb question, but what exactly is tracking?

17. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    Tracking is how quickly the effected sound plays after it has gone through the pedal. For example, if you are playing through something that adds a note 1 octave higher than whatever you play, and the effect isn't instant, like distortion is, but instead there is delay on that octave sound.

Explaining sounds by typing is hard.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They're selling them at list price?!?

19. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I still don't understand why Boss didn't put the synth/wah part (just the 4 waveshape modes and the t-wah -internal sound modes suck as they suck in all BOSS' effect processors or stompboxes-) of the old BOSS ME-8B pedalboard into a stompbox and into further pedalboards. It's BOSS' best up to now. It wasn't even inherited by the GT-6B (which waveshape modes suck big time -internal sound modes are out of discusion 'cause they're NEVER unusable although they keep insisting in including them-). Also their website sucks. NO MANUALS, NO WORKING SAMPLES, ABSOLUTELY USELESS SITE WITH NO IMPORTANT CONTENT AT ALL!!!! AND THEIR "CUSTOMER CARE" ALSO SUCKS (have you ever got an e-mail responded from Boss?)!!!! SHAME ON YOU, BOSS!!!!

ANDRUCA

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Actually, "tracking" refers to the ability of an effect to detect and follow certain characteristics of the input signal, most commonly pitch and envelope (attack, sustain, decay, release).

If tracking sucks (as on the SYB-3), the effect outputs a signal that doesn't resemble the input - e.g., it's off in terms of pitch, it doesn't sustain to the same extent as the input note etc. There may also be a significant delay as the device attempts to figure out the pitch and envelope characteristics, which is what Samurai is referring to.