NEW Boutique Bass Shop - Denver - What brands do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaymonJ11, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DaymonJ11

DaymonJ11 Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm currently in the process of conducting some final market research, prior to opening my Boutique bass shop. I've been working on this for about 2-3 years. I have partnerships in place with various shops throughout the Mile High willing to work with me and not against me - particularly with trades and pricing. I've already established dealerships with several fantastic manufacturers. And, I have one of the single best techs in the state inked to join the shop on a full time basis. I anticipate this opening in late Q3 2018.

Anyway, the focus of this shop will be more "boutique" bass brands. I'm talking Alleva-Coppolo, Alembic, Bluesman Vintage, Warwick Masterbuilt, Elrick, Sadowsky, G&L, Atelier, Lakland USA, Bacchus, Music Man USA & Modulus among other brands of that ilk. I will also be working on adding some very choice relic basses to my selection. these would include vintage Fenders, Music Man (Pre-CBS/Ernie Ball), etc...

I also intend to carry some fantastic boutique bass amplification products as well. Brands like Epifani, EBS, Phil Jones, Mesa, Steamboat Ampworks, Trace Elliott, Eden, Ashdown, Mills Custom Amps and Hiwatt among others.

I want to know what brands you'd like to see? What other services or products would you like to see? Is there something that I should do, in your mind as a working/professional/avid bass player to make your experience better?

2. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Very nice list of brands you already have listed. I would look into possibly adding the STR Guitars since you already have Bacchus on there. Also maybe look into adding Roscoe guitars. Amps I would look into possibly getting Genzler and possibly Bergantino.

3. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Genzler is in the works, I didn't list them because I'm not certain it's possible due to Guitar Center.....long story. But, I am working with Verellen as well.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah Genzler and Roscoe were two that popped into my head first thought. They both have stellar reputations. Plus they probably sell better than even some of the brands you already listed. At the end of the day, you gotta pay the bills, right?

Also, maybe check with an admin about your need for a commercial TB account. That might not be an issue because you haven't launched yet. I have no idea what the rules are for a company in the R&D stage.

Best of luck with it!!!!

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say carry Dingwall and Pedulla, and Performance from LA. I also think it would be great if you kept a few high end Yamaha basses in stock. Yamaha has become really hard to find in America during the last ten or so years.

I have a brother in law in the Denver area. I hope to check out your shop whenever I visit the area again.

6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Being a former Denver resident who visits one or twice a year I very much look forward to your shop! I love the list of gear you have lined up. No additional suggestions as the list you have looks great.

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  7. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Marleaux! Diva's and Contra's are awesome, but I know other models are popular too.

And best of luck with your store.

Strung_Low, jamro217, interp and 4 others like this.
  8. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    @Dr. Cheese - Once we're open, I look forward to having you. And great call on the Yamaha stuff. Their higher end stuff is fantastic. Hard to find, and it's usually very expensive....I'm still lusting over a BB2024x!

@JRB - Living in Denver off and on the last 35 years, we've always had a gaping hole for professional bass players who were looking for top tier equipment. And, the few shops we did have, to me, were lacking service and knowledge. What are your thoughts on that? What can be done to ensure people keep coming back, in your opinion?

@nbsipics - Yeah, I like Marleaux a LOT. However, at least preliminarily, they're asking for a huge up front commitment. Gotta stay lean and mean early on. I'll get fat and sassy later on! lol!

nbsipics, Dr. Cheese and Plutonium244 like this.
  9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I live in denver, hopefully you can pull it off. There has been several in the past.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Bacchus for sure!

Dr. Cheese and DaymonJ11 like this.
  11. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    @five7 - So, why do you think the others have failed? I have some ideas, but, would be interested to hear your take on why they've not succeeded. One of them (the old on on Broadway), for sure, was because their staff was rude as hell!

12. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As a Texas Country bassist living and playing out of Austin, I’m sending all my best vibes and positive thoughts your way! We have a few shops here that stock some higher-end bass stuff but there’s no bass-specific shop anywhere in Texas that I know of...and a lot of us in Texas Country play in and have our runs/tours routed through Colorado, so it would be great to have a bass shop so closely located to us (closest one I know of now is Bass Club Chicago).

Your list of bass and amp companies looks great to me! I’d humbly suggest Bergantino for amps, but I’m biased as I’m smitten with my Bergie gear.

This is kinda out of left field, but would you be stocking any DI’s? I ask because I had to get a couple of nice DI’s for my current gig, but didn’t have anywhere to demo them in person and could only rely on YouTube and Talkbass forums (not that there’s anything wrong with that but nothing beats hearing gear with your own ears). Not sure how stocking some of the brands that sell direct would work, but as many of us run direct (some of us ONLY direct with no amp) it may be a cool and unique idea?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    devo1, micbass and Flog like this.
  13. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Move north and open that shop in Calgary...;)

T Bassman, Andre678, wmmj and 5 others like this.
  14. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Great news about the shop! I'll be in. If you can, pick up the Bergantino line. A nice variety of effect pedals would be cool too though I'm not sure what the latest greatest brands to suggest would be. Bass effects people are a finicky bunch and trends move fast.

I spent a lot of money at the old shop on Broadway. Yeah from time to time it wasn't the most pleasant customer service experience. The guy used to get sort of stressed out when the store was busy. It was a cool shop though.

DaymonJ11 likes this.
  15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

TolerancEJ and DaymonJ11 like this.
  16. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado

@TheBear - Yeah, we'll be stockinig complete lines of DI's and Pedals, and some of these being true one off custom pieces hand made right here in the USA!

TheBear likes this.
  17. DaymonJ11

Feb 24, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    @metron - yeah, we'll have some custom pedals and DI's and stuff like that for folks to try. Most of them truly handmade USA custom pieces. I'll tell you one pedal that will for sure be there is the Liger by Bluesman Vintage....that thing is....well, unreal.

Anyway, yeah I spent a LOT of money there too. Funny story, when I was in High School, and first started playing, I'd saved about $1000 to buy a Tobias with. I went in there to buy it, and that dude would NOT sell me that bass. It was listed at $959, and he wouldn't sell it to me. No idea why, but was a real A-Hole.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    @DaymonJ11 , when you say that you are going to carry Bacchus, does that mean only the most expensive line? Have you considered the Maruszczyk instruments?

19. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    What about FBass? I also second the Roscoe suggestion. Will you sell online, also?

TolerancEJ and ebozzz like this.
  20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I think he would need to have a STRONG online presence in order to survive in Denver. In fact, that may very well be where most of the business is generated.....

micbass, howlin and five7 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021