Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New boutique-type stuff i thought i'd show.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toasted, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

I just wanted to show you these pedals ive aquired over the last week or so. Im getting the pedal setup that I want whilst i have the cash and the inclination.

Ill be adding another OD/Dist in the meatball's effects loop so i can take the prunes and custard out. I'm also adding a whammy, and another synth pedal. Probably a deep impact.

One thing that ive noticed is that the meatball doesnt like a really hot signal, any ideas on how i could reduce the signal to it. It doesnt even really like the amount of signal my effects loop puts out.

Secondly, gimme suggestions, for things to include / leave out. Im in a really formative stage at the moment and its totally ace to be able to try out all these things.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    purdy.... lets hear them :smug:

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Don't use your effects loop - the signal is way too hot for most pedals as effects loops are designed for driving pro line level gear, not instrument level, whilst effects pedals expect to see instrument level.

Effects loops should more accurately be called - "Rackmount effects loops or pro line level sent and returns (NB: don't use for FX pedals!)"

Enjoy the Meatball - it's a swine to set right but sounds great when you do. And then you lose the setting... I sold mine and bought an EBS BassIQ because I'm too impatient to twiddle knobs!

Alex

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love the BassIQ too :)

Ive also noticed that the Meatball doesnt like the line level from my active Pedulla Rapture :(

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Turn down the sensitivity.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ewwwww a Prunes and Custard those are rubbish :p

Have you considered instead of a whammy the Boss pitch shifter with the expression pedal, looks like it does the same job and it might be cheaper.

Any news on those deep impacts mate.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've changed the layout, now instead of the P+C in the effects loop of the meatball I've got a 70's SoundCity distortion, that sounds very cool indeed, the P+C is now in series after the meatball. Sounds great. Whammy on the 15th. Hopefully.

Oh, and im getting a DTR-2000 tuner for christmas that im going to integrate into my pedal board. How fly am I? Pretty fly, toasted, pretty fly.

Yes i called about the deep impact and he sold it within 10
    minutes of it coming into the shop. Im not suprised because it was about 1/3rd of what they go for on ebay!

FYI: one went last night for £155 :|!

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Grrr.

Fine now it's a toss up between the digitech and that ibanez.

Unless I decide to get a boutique filter.

9. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Blashphemy! I love my P&C!

And curse you, Toasted, I want a Meatball so bad.... :spit: :crying:

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Private joke I just bought one and am expecting delivery in the next few weeks. :spit: hehe

11. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I know, I try and tell people it sucks too. Less competition.

12. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Nice! Man i want a meatball so bad, but i settled on a Bassiq which i will be getting for christmas. Hope it fulfills my needs! I also am looking for a deep impact! Im disapointed i missed the blowout from musicians friend for $99! thats an insane deal! The prices they go for today are nuts, but id probably be willing to pay.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm really into my EH Bassballs :D

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    For what its worth, i like the streight up envelope sound of the BassIQ better than i like the sound of the streight up envelope sound of the meatball.

Its all the other things about the meatball (including the fact that it's british built electronics) that does it for me.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

More. Akai deep impact arrived but had a fault, so sent back to be fixed.

16. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Ok, you all have piqued my curiosity... What the hell ARE the Meatball and P&C effects? Never even heard of them.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The big blue one is a Lovetone meatball. Its an envelope follower/triggered filter. Its totally and utterly insane. Ive only had it since friday and ive not found one usable sound - its totally brilliant. It really is a work of mad genious. Mines an original '99 one, hand made by Vlad at Lovetone.

Thats in the Effects Loop of my Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II (paired with a mini 4x8 cabinet)

In the Effects loop of the Meatball (yes, a loop in a loop) is a Crowther Audio: Prunes and Custard.

Its a Harmonic Generator Intermodulator, that is, it creates its own harmonics above and low the note played, and creates an effect similar to an envelope / distortion on the Y swing on the string, that is, not when the string is moving, but when it is stationary and changing direction to swing back the other way. I cant get some really heavy synth sounds out of it.

//edit: ask ben strange, he explains better than me.

18. Is that strings direct psu any good? I might be tempted to get me one....

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its alright, it only does 9v. DC. +ve tip pedals, If you want it just goto your local Maplin and they'll sell you it for £20 instead of £35 + p&p at stringsdirect.

^^ Cheers to Tayste_2000 for the info on that.

20. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    You kids just wait till I get off my ass and get a digital camera..

Mwah HA HA!