New Bow Day! (cheap Glasser)

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by BarfanyShart, Mar 4, 2020.

1. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Got this for my 9-year-old who wants to try German bow. He really does pull a better sound holding his current bow underhand, so I'll humor him. Made in the USA, carbon graphite, by Glasser. I'm just impressed that it costs under $100 on Amazon and is clearly functional. 20200304_140518.jpg

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    I have students who own bows like this. It's surprising how good they actually are.

PBandJazzBass likes this.
  3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree.

I have a few inexpensive bows that really only needed good bow hair to be quite decent. The rehairs cost more than the bows, but were worth it. If the weight is around 135-140 grams, 26.25-26.5” length for French and 27” for German, the wood firm but not thick (or spongy) then it is in the ballpark. Getting above 145 grams for snakewood can be considered heavy. Tip heavy or clubby is not desirable.

My Asian carbon bow after rehairing plays pretty good. The original hair usually (not always) is terrible.

IMHO bowing sound & talent is something like 90% the player and 10% the bow, if the bow is in the criteria above.

Also, YAY! for Dad’s supporting their kid’s music.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    PBandJazzBass, BobbyT and neilG like this.
  4. togril

togril

Jun 29, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Get your Students or Children or Adults to Buy FINALE Carbon Fibre Bows. They blow all of these out of the water.
    They are about $375. It's shocking - I have an Arry Pernambuco stick, and I don't understand why paying over 50% less for carbon has become an upgrade to it.
    Sorry to be here so late, but I feel I have to say this to other who land here. I think Bow sound is for more than 10% of the sound, more like 30%. It can be transformative. Utterly transformative.
    PS. I have NO affiliation with Finale. I am just...er.....poor! listen to some examples online.
    Thanks
    T. Xx

5. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    A bow that works for a particular instrument is everything. More than 30%, IMO.

16fuss likes this.
  6. BobbyT

BobbyT

Feb 19, 2017
    United States
    I switched from an Ary pernambuco bow to a Finale carbon fiber as well. I bought it as a backup and it quickly became my main bow.

I’d be curious for those who have played both: is the Finale 3.5x better than the Glasser and other ~$100 bows?

Also, agree with the above reply: kudos on supporting your kid’s musical journey :hyper:

togril likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021