New Bow - Emanuel Wilfer

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Machina, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    So for Christmas I got a new bow: Emanuel Wilfer Snakewood, Buffalo Horn Frog, and Silver Mounted. German style. I began playing bass a year and a half ago and I am a performance major. I don't want to sound bad, but I am a student that advances very fast, because I put a lot of time into the instrument.

I've had my share of bows! I started out on a Roth Fiberglass bow which I got with my old Roth Fiberglass bass. At the six month mark I upgraded to a carved bass and a brazilwood bow. The brazilwood bow seemed like heaven! I would recommened that anyone skip the fiberglass and go to a straight wood bow. But anyways, I entered music school and by the end of October I needed a rehair. Rehairs aren't cheap in Illinois outside of Chicago, so I played on the schools Carbow.

This was a standard Carbow, with black hair. At first I really didn't like this bow at all! I loved the sound, but the black hair was so much work. While the bite of the bow was quick, the hair did not hold rosin well. This actually hurt my sound, since the entire string was coated in rosin. (I use Pops btw) But this bow isn't mine. So really I still only owned a brazilwood. Now the only complaint I have about the carbow is that it is too light for my taste.

Merry Christmas! I picked out the Emanuel Wilfer Snakewood, which is on sale from Lemur music. It's normally $3550. I love it! Just after one night of playing! I highly recommened the snakewood, because this bow is 156 grams, it is very easy to project my sound at the bridge, but I still can play a very soft ppp if needed. The bow frog is smaller and fits right into my hand.

The reason for this post being so long is that after many searches, I noticed that barely anyone had talked about Snakewood bows. I was torn between pernambuco or snakewood, so let's discuss! :p

Here is a picture of the buffalo horn's beauty and the snakewood's wonderful pattern (sorry it's not the best photo):
  2. Nice looking bow, were you jumping up and down when you took the picture, or were you just too excited to wait for it to focus? ;)
  3. Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    Lol, My digital camera seems to want to focus right after multiple wonder I never use it.