Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bow stick?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Eilif, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    As part of a bass I just purchased, I got a bow. The stick of the bow sucks. It is cracked, and though repairable, it will keep on cracking over and over and over.... The frog, and tension adjuster are really nice,(ebony/mother of pearl, and Silver/mother of pearl respectively), and worth salvaging I think. My Questions are these:

Is it feasible and/or worth it to replace only the stick of a bow?

How do I go about finding just the stick of a bow?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get thee to the luthier.

3. Really, what makes a great bow IS the stick! You may have a nice frog there, but really, if you're looking to replace only the stick - that's a bit backward.

It would be like a buying a really crappy used car with really nice tires in great shape, and then looking to find a new car body to go with your great tires. Not too likely.

In other words, any reasonably good bow is probably going to have a nice frog, etc. already so you're not going to have much need for your nice spare parts.

Besides, it is a bit taboo to get a very nice bow and start changing parts like the frog. That would likely seriously devalue the 'original' state of the bow. ...sort of like taking a '57 Fender bass and throwing new pickups in.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I can't really afford a really nice bow anyway. My one working bow is a glaser Fibreglass (please don't laugh) I know that the most important/expensive/ sound-influencing part of the bow is the stick.

I just want to know if there is somewhere I could buy a wooden stick that I could put with the components I have and have a second bow that would be a little better than my Fibreglass one.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    About the only thing you could do is get the bow repaired. It can be done. The repairman will glue and clamp it, and then wrap a bandage around the repair. The bow that Edgar Meyer was using at the master class that I attended not long ago had undergone this treatment. You could also keep an eye on eBay and see if something comes up...

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny