Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bow Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by EFischer1, Jan 3, 2003.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'm starting to do some research regarding a new bow. I currently play a Gustav Werner bow from approximately 1960. Its a really great bow but i'm looking to upgrade to a really nice, professional quality bow that will really enhance the sound of my instrument. I am hoping to have my savings up to 3k by the time I am ready to purchase a bow. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding where I can find such bows. I already do a lot of business with david gage and am looking for other options. Thank you in advance.

Eric

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Check out Prochownik in Winnepeg, Canada. His bows are really great, and for the money you have, you can buy 3 of them!
    His site is linked on my "equipment" page.

3. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I was actually checking those out earlier today from a link on Bob's page. They look really great. Any idea how I could find some more information on them?

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    My page

Just click on "Equipment", and then click on the bow picture, that'll get you to his page.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just bought a carbow...I know the purists will shudder, but the thing delivers ! I love it and at $850 it was a bargain...

now if i can only get a carbon fibre Db....Maybe I could trade my Hill for it...NOT

6. Aroneng

Aroneng Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If you contact Prochownik he will give you a contact for a dealer here in the states. Reid Hudson is a well known maker. If you go to netinstruments.com there was a Hudson and Prochownik for sale if you are looking for a German bow. John Norwood Lee bows are available at sonksenstrings.com. Tom Owen makes very good bows for the under 1k range. Good luck

7. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    You guys rock my world!

Thank you so much for all of the replies

8. Kolstein has a lot of bows. Last time I was at Shank's he had a lot of bows. Chris Brown in Minneapolis deals exclusively in bows. With the kinda bread you're talking about you should be able to find something top notch. I suggest you check out older bows in addition to the new ones people are mentioning.

Don't buy the first bow you play that you think is better than your current bow. Also, try to have several bows home on trial at a time. Having a half dozen or more bows to try at home in the practice space you're used to will not only help ensure you find the right bow, you'll learn a heck of a lot about bows and have an awful lot of fun.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Funny, I just saw Chris Brown doing a masterclass in Seattle yesterday! We also stopped by Hammond-Ashley, where we tried out a nice Tom Martin bass and a Lakeberg and Baer that I really loved. Mostly played on a Prochownik bow. . .

10. I've owned a Reid Hudson and a Prochownik. Both are amazing bows. The Prochownik is less than half the price of a Hudson and is 100% as good. I don't think the Hudson is overpriced, the Prochownik is underpriced.

11. I tried a Prochownik. IMO it was too light and was much too bright and thin sounding when played on my bass.

12. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    To each his own. ..
    The Prochownik I have is bright too, but in a good way. What I really like about them is how they seem to grab the string without much effort, and I like the spicatto too.

13. Exactly

14. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I'v actually been thinking a lot about an older bow. I played a few when i bought my current bow just to see the comparison and the sound and feel of the bows was much more developed when compared to a new bow.

Any one else own a reid hudson bow? From what i'v read they sound quite good.

Thank you guys again for all of your help.

15. I own three Prochowniks (in fact I actually have 7 of his bows currently in my posession - I just bought a new one this week but he sent me 5 to try out - I need to mail him back the others).

Both my french Prochowniks are extremely dark sounding. In fact, the new one (a Sartory copy) I got to replace my very nice Hudson which felt great, but it was the Hudson that was a little too bright sounding on my bass.

Since I've actually tried so many of the Prochowniks now I feel I have a pretty good idea what they are typically like. The french bows anyway, are typically pretty warm but extremely articulate.

However, I've owned 2 of his german bows (and still have one) and I've found both of them to be a little on the bright side.

Regarding the weight issue, he does tend to make rather light bows, but that's personally what I've come to prefer. I find I can really get around well on them and since I've grown accustomed to them, I find I'm actually able to play louder with a really good light bow.

Anyway, I can't recommend them more highly. They are great bows and a very good value.

16. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey see if you can locate a Grunberger. He designed the carbow and I think Prochownik worked with him a little too.

Definitely worth the $3k approx,

you can find him on the web, I think he's in Utah now.

You should at least talk to him about his bows.

17. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Someone asked for opinions from owners of these bows.

I bought a Reid Hudson French bow while visiting Hammond Ashley a year and a half ago. When I was there, I played literally every good French bow that Bryce had in the shop, and I liked the Hudson better than anything else he had at any price.

I'm still happy with it.

18. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Someone asked for opinions from owners of these bows.

I bought a Reid Hudson French bow while visiting Hammond Ashley a year and a half ago. When I was there, I played literally every good French bow that Bryce had in the shop, and I liked the Hudson better than anything else he had at any price.

I'm still happy with it.