Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bow Time!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by EFischer1, Apr 18, 2005.

1. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    So I have finally begged a little, sold a little, and borrowed a little so that I have some money put together to buy a new bow. I'm a student and am looking for something that will carry me though school, grad school, and into professional auditions. My high end is about 3000. Any ideas on dealers (preferably in New York) or great bows that I should be looking at?

2. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    In NY? Not much. I haven't played any Kolsteins in a while, but its often hit or miss with them.
    Dollings seem popular nowadays, as modern bows. Around that range.

I played a Lotte a couple years ago that was unbelievable for big German orchestral strokes. You might want to call Chris Brown.

3. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I forgot about him - a lot of the guys at IU have played or play on Reid Hudsons.

One of the younger guys plays on a Robert Dowd (sp?) - a maker from Utah. I think its a great stick, and it draws a wonderful articulate sound.

I really like my Morizot, but sometimes I do wish I had a heavier stick.. then again I also wish I had a pecatte. Such is life.

4. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Do you know if all of the Morizot sticks are really light. I'm really looking for something with more weight than my Prochownik.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $3000??? How the hell can you afford to play classical music on an upright when a bow costs more than I paid for my first bass? Gee whiz! I think I'll probably stick to jazz and swing. You can use any old bass for that, and you don't even need a bow.

6. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    A $3000 bow is worth every penny!
    Check out Chris Brown in Minneapolis. He'll send you a selection to choose from. I got my Pfretzschner from him. Good luck!

7. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    I've only played a couple Morizots - mine is 138 G, and for some reason actually sounds heavier on the string. It's magic, i guess. Anyhow, I don't think they are all light, but it depends on what Morizot was working with.

Theres a fellow whose done well at the VSA bowmaking competitions.. Pierre-Yves Fuchs, who might be worth checking into.

8. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Thanks so much for all of the replies guys.

at 138, the Morizot is quite a bit heavier than my Prochownik bow, which weighs in at only like 123g