Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Chasarms, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    For the past several weeks, I have been lugging my bass around to try different bows. Hows that for pain. It's worth it though, I have found a very comfortable bow.

My teacher liked it so well he is looking to play a few of the same make and model to buy as a student bow and additional back up. I was pretty happy and surprised that he liked it so well, considering his main stick is a $6K bow, and I paid $280 for this one.

Nothing fancy. A brazilwood Oct. with very nice fittings. Labeled as Scherl and Roth "Tourte". No telling where it's from. But it's straight and very comfortable, starts easily. The shop had three. All were straight and played pretty well.

Their luthier was the one helping me. He was happy to offer them as they priced well and in his opinion, they played better, sounded better and were better made than the entry level pernambuco bows that cost more. His thought was that the overall quality of the bow was more important than the wood is was made from. Of course, pernambuco makes a better bow if it is of the appropriate grade and the maker has the skill, but isn't inherently better.

His service was excellent. If I or my teacher didn't like it, he said just bring it back for a refund. You can't beat that. I know it should always be that way, but it isn't.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm surpirsed. most luthiers will let you try a bow for a week or so. was that the case ? well, make not a $300. bow...

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I guess it was. I did tell him at the time I bought it that it would be more than a week before I could let my teacher give it a go and he had no issue at all with that.