new bows vs. old

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by toman, Jun 25, 2003.

1. So is there any reason why an old bow might be better than a new bow? Does the age of the wood (once it's not green, obviously) affect the performance of a bow very much? I don't know a whole lot about bows, but from what I've seen shopping and such there aren't many old bows out there. Is it just because bows don't last very long in the big scheme? And finally, do good bows appreciate in value like good basses do? Sorry if any of this sounds dumb, but for whatever reason I seem to be in the dark when it comes to a lot of aspects regarding bows.
  2. I hate to bump my own thread, but surely someone has something to say about this...
  3. Well, bump!

mebbe our Respected Lluthiers can say something about the subject.
    What I know is not much. Some makers have a Name,
    and their bows are valued like maker´s instruments.
    On the other hand, Edgar Meyer plays a 15 $
    B.S.O. ( bow shaped object ?? ).

Mine is an old junkie German, worn out and stained with schmutz, dirt and strange green goo...bears a carved initial "Tajewsky" which might be the maker, the owner or the butler´s brother. Plays well ( said someone who CAN play ),
    appears to be an octagonal pernambuco with silver wrappings. I have absolutely no idea of it´s value.

4. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002

This is maybe not relevant to your Q but I think the reason for Edgar Meyers bow is so cheap is that it's broken in two places.

I don't know how much it would cost otherwise but I guess this lowers the prise alot.

5. In terms of playability, the (hand made) bows being made today are the equal of any ever made. Bass bows were never made in quantity by the great bow makers of the classic era, so there is not a great supply of really fine old bows to use as a standard like the violin world where bows by makers like Tourte raised the standard to that of a true art form. A fine bow is a fine bow regardless of the time it was made. OTOH, a bad bow will not get any better as it gets older. We are fortunate that we live in a time where many fine bow makers have chosen to specialize in bass bow making. Unfortunately, fine hand made bows are expensive and as a result over 90% of the bows you see for sale are machine made and can not in truth be compared with a bow from the hands of a good bowmaker.
  6. Thanks for the replys, this is the sort of info I was looking for. One thing though; do good bow bocome worth more as they get older? I know a bow is probably not going to get any better as it ages, but then I know some old basses are worth something even though they may not sound great...
  7. A very Fine bow will likely become more valuable. A Good bow may become more valuable. And... if I could predict this for sure, I would just buy them and put them away in a vault for my retirement.
  8. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Can you please give any brands or links where I can see whatever is available on the market? Thanks.
  9. the other guys here may be able to give you some names to look for, but in my experience there are not many bows advertised for sale on the web. and the ones that are probably are not what you really want... ;) the way I found my bow was I spent a couple years simply playing every bow I could get my hands on, whether it was at a shop or belonged to other players. I finally was lucky enough to find a bow at a shop that was laying on the back of a bench, and nobody there knew what it was or where it came from. it turned out to be by far the best bow I had played, and I was able to get it for a good price. I have no idea who made the thing, it's kinda beat up and ugly, and who knows what it's worth. But it doesn't mattter because I don't think I'll ever sell it!
  10. Hey that's a cool site Bob, I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting it!
  11. Check out Zdzislaw Prochownik's site-

Talkbass member Rob W is an accomplished symphony player who uses a Prochownik bow.

Also, Peter Mach of Aylmer, Quebec is known for his bass bows.