Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New breed of speaker...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metallkasten, May 12, 2003.

1. My father works for an engineering firm who has many different departments of building design (and so on and so forth, you get the idea). One of his coworkers is head of the department that designs PA systems, both integrated and portable. Anyways, they were talking and this guy tells my dad about a knew type of speaker on display at some big conference. As it turns out, these speakers are able to produce the same volume level and sound quality wether you are four feet away or fourty feet away. It sound exactly them same, just as loud and accurate. Price for four of the 10 inchers? $3600... Thats just the speakers, also, no cab

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    same tone? maybe
    same volume? impossible
    volume decreases as the square of the distance away
    ya canna change the laws of physics capn' kirk!!!

3. I swear. Plus, if it really was impossible there would be nothing new about it, eh? There was a demonstration and it lived up to it's expectations

4. hmm, now does it all of a sudden cut out at an imaginary line, or does the sound simply carry forever? :p

5. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I would imagine that at a certain point it does begin to weken in sound.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I once saw a demonstration of a Nexo that deliveded the same volume to within 1dB (measured) throughout an entire 12,000 seat concert venue.

However, this was done by careful speaker placement and attendion to dispersion angles. They obviously used quite a few speakers.

What's the theory behind getting this type of response from a single driver?

7. I declare victory

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's a bit early for that. We haven't heard em in action yet. If they sound like crap, the theory will rot and die as other gimmicks have done ....... I'm not saying they're a gimmick, I'm preparing you for the possibility that they may not live up to the hype.

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It looks interesting, but all the applications they have used it for so far have very tight control over the listener location; not exactly the environment for live sound. I also saw no mention of frequency response, which I find curious.

• Audio output: 100dB max
    • ~1% THD typical @ 1kHz
    • Usable range: 20m

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think the premise is that the driver creates a focused "beam" of sound where, for someone standing withing the "beam," the volume output is more or less linear for a considerable distance. Like having some sort of parabolic reflector for sound. I would bet they're not intended for bass.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    this was in popular science months and months ago. The speakers do emit in a tight beam, and are projected where needed. It was mainly meant for home theater use. It doesn't have a whole lot of potential for PA systems that are made to spread sound. You'd have to have an acoustically perfect room to use these tight-beam speakers. They are made to reflect off surfaces to take the sound where you need it. In such cas, you can have a surround sound system against one wall, with an open back room. You can reflect off panels to direct the sound as the rear channels. This will be useful in smaller environments, but not really in large scale PA applications. Especially at that price.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Maybe they use laser dynamics and ball bearing technology...

13. We're talking about a technology that changes the laws of physics (sort of). When you're as old as me and have seen the latest and greatest come and go (does anybody remember the (Heil air motion transformer) ) you tend to be a little sceptical. I Hope it works and look forward to hearing a demonstration some day. Thanks

14. Xylenz

Xylenz

May 12, 2003
  15. What was the company that tried to mass market the AMT back in the 70's along about the same time everybody was buying Advent? I liked the top end but the bass was lacking.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Tell me more!

17. If I remember correctly the company was ESS. I had a pair of the AMT1s.

18. The New York Times Magazine had an article about this a few months back. It cuts off below ~400Hz.

19. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Hey, anybody remember those trapezoidal speakers that were flat and had white foam "cones"? I think Yamaha and a few others made them. Fender even made a bass amp with one in it called the "Bantam Bass". I understand they (the speakers, that is) were the "next big thing" back in the late '60's and early '70's. :)

Here's a link:
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/bantam_bass.html