Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW BRICE Fretted 5 Arrived Today! ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Feb 12, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Played with it for about an hour straight! Got a nice hardshell case with it.

The Set-up was fine, a little low, so I rasied the action a hair, and now its all good. Hardware is pretty good, tuners hold tight, bridge is great. This bass is very lightweight and balances nicely.

The sound.. Well, it needs new strings, I dont really like the strings it came with .. DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT STRINGS TO PUT ON IT? .. But the tone options are great. Can be a low muddy rock to just lay down a FAT sound, or can be dialed up to a high tint funk machine. The P-Sound is there to. For $240 this is one versatile piece. As soon as I get some new strings on it, I know I'll be absolutly happy. The strings on it now make it a little rough, and not as clear as I'd like.

String spacing is kind of tight, but I like that because this is my first 5-string, so I am adjusting well. I can get very clear Harmonics. For the price its just a great investment. SURPISINGLY Awsome for slapping! If you've been thinking about a BRICE, there is no way you can go wrong!

Anything else you need to know let me know..

And again, any suggestions for some new strings to throw on this if I wanted a clear, punchy, yet jazz like sound?

~AJ

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Played it a little more.. Small problem. Some of the Notes when I'm playing a quick Jam Groove with alot of jumping around, some of the notes seem to bleed together, where the Lower note smothers the higher note just a little. By messing with the tone knobs, how would I get rid of that. Or is that something that new strings could help?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Maybe you could lower the bass side of the pups and/or raise the trebles side? Just a bit. Congrats on your new bass!

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I will post pics tomorrow. Again, if anyone needs any info on these basses I can now let you know!

I dialed on the tone I want! Nice Punchy sound with a surprising Growl! This bass Growls a little! =) !

But still, any suggestions on strings?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's no ATK....but it will do. Nice!;)

6. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Ha.. Smartass Polly

7. BassDmb -
    what other basses can you compare it to? (for a/b comparison). If it had a fancy name on it, would you buy it for 600 bucks (if i gave you the 600 ;-)?

also - how well is the neck fitted into the body? What sort of finish is on the back of the neck?
    Do the electrics seem cheap?

Strings do make a big difference. I detune my 4string down to B, and I put some heavy guage ..arrg, forget the brand....rated midway for brightness (they were cheap). Before I had Ernie Ball lights i think (yes, detuned ;-).
    Anyway, don;t like them as much. The harmonics totally changed. There is more bass freqs though.

I can;t decide wether to just plump for a brice fretless 5 or 6 string, assuming quality level is more like 400-600 instrument based on the reviews, or hunt around for a 400-500 dollar second hand instrument.

8. I'd put some Ernie Ball Slinkies on them, but that's just me. I like the sound of them, and they last far longer than the GHSs and Ken Smiths I've tried; they are also cheaper. But strings are pretty much totally a personal preference issue. You may hate the same strings that I absolutely love.

9. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Hmm.. Compare it too.. Definitly an Ibanez, reminded me of a the nicer SDGR model, a 405 or something. Wide Tonal range. Everytime I've picked it up today, i've messed with the knobs and come up with a different tone I liked. Right Now I got it set to where it has a nice mid growl, and a punchy bottom end. Dunno how I did it, just got lucky and I'm not touching it! lol ..

Neck is fit in very nicely, good workmanship. Not sure of the finish, a light wood. The neck is nice and thin, not too bulky, makes it easy to play. Slapping on it is sooooo nice, FOR $250, this thing can slap? HELL yea it can! The electronics seem solid, no problems, no noise, no hisses or anything. Very loud output. And again, wide tonal range.

Only problem I have with it is the strings..

Other than that, I love it! I love it love it love it. The quilt top looks awsome! I got a Black one, and the Gold Hardware on it looks awsome! Again, I love it. If you gave me $600, and I saw that bass, I'd expect to pay a little more if it had better strings.

~AJ

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    and WHO helped you get this Brice? ;)

DM

Congrats

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Werd!.. DarkMazda hooked me up and got me towards one of these babies. You da man

~AJ

12. wow, so its a great mid-range bass then.
    less than 300 bucks just seems such a silly price.

My first bass 10 years ago was a cheap fretless, which really did sound weak --- though I managed to get an overdriven soudn which fit well on tape on a mix. So i'd be concerned about dull, lifeless weak pickups in the Brice instruments, but this does not seem to be the case.

So Rondo music is turning into the 'avatar speakers'
    of our favourite instruments? :)

Other than that, I love it! I love it love it love it. The quilt top looks awsome! I got a Black one, and the Gold Hardware on it looks awsome! Again, I love it. If you gave me $600, and I saw that bass, I'd expect to pay a little more if it had better strings.

~AJ [/B][/QUOTE]

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In general I like Fender "Super Bass" nickels on every bass I own (except my Tacoma). They are inexpensive and very high quality.

Thanks for the review, but of course we want pics. :) I'm planning on picking up a Brice 6 string later this year if they still have them.

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    [​IMG]

Finally got those pics.. Maybe some recordings if anyones interested.

15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    No jokes.. I just home from golfing.. heh
    [​IMG]

16. Wow, that bass sure looks nice. That's a super quilt finish for a cheap bass.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nice! I woudl like it a lot mroe with black hardware though.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks for posting the pics. That looks really nice!

19. kurtzentmaier

kurtzentmaier

Aug 10, 2002
    Union, NJ
    Hi
    Just FYI we will have some with black hardware coming shortly (maybe this summer). I will put the prototype on our site for comments in March.

Kurt
    Rondo Music
    St. Martin

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Kurt,
    Any plans for more colors on the P type basses? Looking for white and natural.