1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new Brice HXB 406 owner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 6, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I just got my Brice HXB 406 fretless, in Natural Spalted.

hxb406natspaltedfl1.

hxb406natspaltedfl5.

and I must say, I am extremely satisfied. It came setup almost perfectly. I had to adjust the neck a tad and saddle height.
    It came with flatwounds. I hate flatwounds...but I can deal with them for now.

The finish is absolutely beautiful. For a $299 bass, it can easily compare to a $500 bass from GC. A VERY good buy.

I also recently got a Douglas WOB 826 Fretless, and it just doesn't compare. I had to work on it for like 4 hours to get it just right. Even had to file the string lands in the nut because they were too high. I think the WOB will be hitting Craig's list pretty soon. I can't return it to Rondo because I worked on it already. Don't get me wrong, it plays well, just not as well as the BRice.

When I get roundwounds on the brice, I will report back on the sound. Still have to adjust intonation a little, too

One thing, though, the Brice is 35" scale. I noticed that the side dot inlays of tell you exactly where to put your fingers. Want an E on the B string? Put your finger ON the dot.
    The 34" scale WOB 826's dots are in the position as though it had frets, not exactly where the fret would lie.

2. Gorgeous bass! I've been thinking about getting a 6 string for some time now but just wasn't sure how these felt and sounded.

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been interested in getting a fretless bass, and figure a sixer wouldn't hurt either. I've been looking at these on Rondo's site almost every day since they showed up. I would be very, very interested in more pictures if you have the ability to take them and post them.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is that one in the pictures yours? Beautiful! Congrats, enjoy.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    those are from the Rondo Ebay store.
    I will take MY pictures and post, maybe later tonight.

But this Brice's neck is nice. It is more rounded in the back, extremely comfortable. The Douglas WOB neck is super thin & super flat.

6. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Take some neck profile pictures, if possible.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats on the new bass!

8. decuchi2334

decuchi2334

Feb 4, 2008
    It has 2.

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I took these quickly. When I have some more time, I'll take more detailed pics of the neck profile as requested.

DSC_0328.

DSC_0331.

DSC_0338.

DSC_0341.

DSC_0333.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    couple more pics, side profile of the neck @ 12th fret:

DSC_0335.

and this one, not sure if it'll help:
    DSC_0336.

11. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Would you mind taking a picture of the inside of the control cavity?

12. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I bought a Z-6 lefthanded at rondo music and cam out of the box playable for a gig - I must say its an awesome bass but require some change with the electronic - bit wow the look is impressive and the price makes me laugh!! you can see the pcitures of my Brice on www.briefrespite.ca