Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bridge fender jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by number three, Nov 24, 2002.

1. number three

number three

Aug 29, 2002
    I'm trying to upgrade my MIM standard jazz bass. Thinking about new bridge. I've never paid that much attn. to bridges before. Seems that everyone puts a bad ass II bridge on when upgrading. I couldn't seem to find anywhere on the internet to purchase/find info exept tons of sites saying "just put my bad ass II bridge on and new pickups, Awsome! YEA! " or something to that effect.
    Will putting new bridge on completly change my life. I do notice a spring buzzing on the stock bridge when I'm playing it kind of hard. thats the only problem i've come across. Now the pickups, don't get me started...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There are good alternatives to the badass.
    One of the reason it's still popular is because for a long time it's been the only replacement bridge.
    So upgrading the bridge meant badass back then.

Today, I'd rather use a ETS or ABM bridge than a badass. New pickups will make a bigger difference anyway.

3. I would think that the fender american bridges are pretty good - the grey/black ones look really nice.

I've never had much experience with bridges...

A bigger, better, chunkier bridge will give you a better sustain, and I guess it could help your intonation, and how you like to have your bass set up, e.g. low action..

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Will a new bridge change your life? Probably not. We're not talking huge changes to your tone, at least, not on the same level as, say, a new set of pickups or some new tuning keys. ;)

The reason I changed the bridge on my MIM is because the E string saddle would move horizontally as I played. The Gotoh 201 that I put in has slots in the plate to prevent side-to-side saddle movement. Great deal for $20. You can get them from Warmoth.