1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bridge for a Epiphone Explorer needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Siri, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi, I just picked up a used Epiphone LTD Korina Explorer bass. A very cool bass. Let the upgrades begin!

1. Problem with the bridge. The bridge is pulling up, the back is clearly lifting up off the body. Possibly due to very heavy gauge strings? Who knows.

I would appreciate some suggestions on a new bridge. I like the Hipshot A which allows for string-thru. Measuring the stock bridge gives 2.32 inches string to string, or .773 string spacing. Per hipshot website I think the .787 string spacing option would fit best. Sound good?

2. The brass nut is poorly cut and too tall. I'll get a new one made and installed. Easy fix.

3. I'll keep the TB-plus pickups but replace the wiring, pots, jack and switch. VVT will work for now. 500k pots, linear vol and audio taper tone. .47 cap.

Open to recommendations on bridges. I do like to string-thru. Thanks, Dan

2. Hi.

Congrats on the NBD, a great bass.

AFAIK, they all are like that.
    At least mine is the same and there's been a few threads about the subject people complaining about the same thing.

For me it's no biggie, since it still is the same as it was the day I recieved the bass 3 1/2 years ago IIRC.

The helplessly vintage guy in me dreams of the three point, a mudbucker next to the FB, and 3+1 headstock, just like the original customs were way, way back in the day :).

Since the neck angle is very moderate, almost any bridge should fit.

Regards
    Sam

3. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    That's a common epiphone problem you can pull it out and reglue it or just leave it be. It's not from heavy strings because even the epiphe les Paul guitars do it. It's from poor quality control they pay some poor shlub in China a quarter a month to make these things so for him quality isn't key. Problem you may run into is if the holes are drilled to large you may have to plug them and re-drill. Would a bad ass II bridge work? If so they are very well made and big enough that they we cover the holes left by the old bridge. If you switch pots then you will have to slightly enlarge the holes as the alpha pots have smaller shafts. You will also need new knobs, same reason.
    Awsome bass by the way I always wanted one of the Epi explorers

4. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks guys. Poor quality stock bridge. I'm sure they spared every expense in making this thing yet it is still a good feeling and playing bass. It reminds me of John Entwhistle and his Alembic. I am really leaning towards a string-thru bridge so BA2 would not work. It will be a fun project. Dan

5. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Dan,
    Bad ass III is string through

6. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for the input everyone. I just talked to my regular luthier. He recommended against drilling a finished body for string-thru. A thick poly finish will crack and chip when drilled through the body, ugly mess, he won't do it, etc. OK, skip the string through option. I'm still going ahead with other upgrades. Yeah!!

7. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm getting a crazy idea to make this a one pickup bass. I'll rout the bridge pickup cavity for a G&L MFD humbucker, add a trim ring to hold it. Same wiring and controls as the L1000. Neck pup will be de-activated. A Wunkay Explorer. It could work!

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Not necessarily. The key is to drill from both sides, with brandy new, sharp bits. A regular twist bit from the front and a forstner at the back. The ferrules have a lip that need not be sunk flush into the body, and should cover any minor scar at the rim of the hole. (Fender does not mount the ferrules flush on their American basses) It requires some precision and is not for anyone who lives in fear of such precision. But it absolutely can be done, and is probably the best solution for this style of bridge mount.