Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bridge for a through-neck, 34" 5-string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, May 18, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hey. I've seen a lot of threads about DIRECT replacement bridges for Fenders and other basses. My question seems to be a little different:

I've got a through-neck, 34" five-string and want to replace the bridge (which is crooked due to a build defect). I'm not afraid of filling and drilling, so that leaves the question: Which bridge to get?

Obvious choice would seem to be a Badass II V, but I also like the idea of a through-body setup to enhance the tightness of the B-string. Any suggestions out there? What do I need to consider as far as specs/measurements to make sure the bridge is a good fit?

Right now, I'm thinking I want to go with brass -- or some other metal that will emphasize the the lows. BTW, I'll probably be putting in some Bartolini Music Man replacement pickups ups eventually.

Thanks!

2. can you put the dimensions of the original bride here ?

how much spacing between the holes, the amount of holes, string spacing,etc..

makes it a lot easier ;)

3. I've never been that crazy about the Badass bridges, myself. Hipshot makes some great bridges, and Carvin basses use them with through-body stringing. I believe that's only the model with fixed spacing ("style B"?) not the adjustable spacing one. The Hipshot bridge is available with a variety of string spacings, though, so I'm pretty sure you could find one to fit.

Mike

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'll take some measurements once I'm at home and post some specs as soon as I'm able. Thanks!