New Bridge for bone-stock '77 Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Really sorry if this subject had been beat-to-death, but I have a '77 Jazz which is bone-stock. I'd like to replace the bridge without drilling ANY holes. What sugestions do you have (no Badass)? I've seen an ABM for $125 list which looks cool. What is the best bridge in terms of retaining the vintage tone but adding some attack, clarity and sustain?
  2. I think the Gotoh bridges are pretty good... I've never used one though.

What about buying a vintage fender bridge? (re-issue)
  3. How would that affect the tone? It currently has an original '77 Fender bridge.
  4. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I think BadAss is really the way to go man.
  5. What is it about the Badass that you like?
  6. Why do you want to replace it?

If you must replace it though, I think the Gotoh 201 bridge might be what you're lookin' for. But one thing I've heard about em' is that they may your action higher because of the saddle or something. Do a search on the forum.

Click on Bass Bridges.
  7. I want a little more sustain and a little more clarity. What is it about the Gotoh 201 that you like?
  8. I'd really appreciate input from folks who have actually USED the bridge they recommend.:confused:
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've used the Gotoh 201 on 2 basses but they weren't replacements from am oringinal thin plate Fender style bridge. :( They did sound nice & had nice sustain & clarity, though.

I have replaced Fender bridges with the BadAss II & they did exactly what you're looking for.
  10. Hello. I play a '75 J-bass (it's original; I'm the 2nd owner). When I bought it, it had a Badass replacement - this is the old type, not the "II"; looks like Fender stock - and it's great. Lack of sustain or clarity has never been an issue...I've been very happy with it. As mentioned in other posts here, no matter how you go, be sure the set-up is done well. Good luck.