1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bridge for Squier CV 50s Precision?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Sep 18, 2017.

1. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Hi All,

Hope this hasn't been asked before, but here goes ... I have a Squier CV 50s P which I really like. Only thing I want to change is the bridge (partially due to some rust on the bridge saddles) so I was wondering what would be a good option.

Would prefer to NOT drill extra holes in the body, if possible. Not sure what I am looking for in terms of improvement because I have never modded a bass before (pretty sure that new strings do not cound as a mod :) )

So any and all advice is welcome! Once the bridge is changed I may end up swapping the pickup, but for that I will just search around - pretty sure pickup swaps have been discussed before :D

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's a good bridge. How bad is the rust? You could clean or change the saddles. There are plenty of no-drill options but it's not gonna make much of a difference.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    And here I thought that Leo Quan Badass II or whatever would be the bee's knees and come up as a first suggestion :D

4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's nothing wrong with the badass bridge. There's nothing right with it either. Replacing a stock bridge doesn't equal an upgrade. Some bridges are more adjustable than others. That's a real benefit. If you want that or you want a bridge cuz it looks cooler than have at it. But otherwise you're wasting your money, in my opinion.

5. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    But go for it, now that I think about it. You have a five bolt Fender bridge. There are a million alternatives that'll drop right in. Just adjust your intonation and set up and you're good to go. Hipshot makes fine products. Babicz is very popular. Check the accessories classifieds. There are always plenty of bridges.

6. That's funny because @Gorn suggestion of replace the bridge saddles was my first thought as I was reading your post also.

If you have your heart set on replacing the whole bridge then go for it. I don't know what options you have in Belgium.

7. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Be careful, the holes for those high mass CV bridges I believe are little off as opposed to normal Fender specs.

8. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are they really? I didn't know that. That's important.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    IMG_20170415_011953_HDR.jpg

Not direct plugin, need drille new hole.

The reason i swap with Fender Vintage Bridge is because i cant set my G string action down to 1.5mm with .010 neck relief.

10. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Here is a new exact replacement bridge for your CV 50’s P bass as a very reasonable price

Genuine Fender 4-string Bass Bridge Chrome for Squire Classic Vibe 50s P-Bass

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Here is a replacement brige for CV 50’s P bass

Genuine Fender 4-string Bass Bridge Chrome for Squire Classic Vibe 50s P-Bass - Chrome

Gotohs are very nice and have always ben a good fit. Here are there modern beefier and vintage style bridges

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...GObF696jS7ngpHth5pBg_AAaA_VwnkGxoCPScQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017