Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bridge holes. How risky is that?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LA, Jul 24, 2002.

1. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I just got my chrome replacement bridge for my MTD Kingston and sad to say, the screw holes don't fit. So I'm either going to send it back or drill some new holes, but if the new holes run too close to the old ones, how much bridge stability can I expect?

2. you can always used dowel rods to fill in the old holes :)
    worked on my bass

3. good call

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    What size dowel rods? 1/8"? That's the smallest I've seen them - I suppose they would have to be tapered at one end. And do they have to be glued in?

5. well you need to get them the diameter of the screw. mine were smaller than 1/8" so i took my really big drill and re drilled the holes to 1/8". then cut them flush with the body and glued them in :) simple as eating warm apple pie....

6. My Essex needed new bridge screw holes when I popped on a gotoh. The old holes were so far off I didn't even bother filling them in.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I think I'm gonna scrap the new bridge idea (the one I got from Hipshot won't work because it's not long enough to cover 2 screw holes) and see about getting the one I have chrome-plated and polished.