1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bridge = more sustain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steamthief, Apr 29, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    While I really like the tone of my Fender p/j, I feel it is lacking in sustain. It's currently set up with the stock "spiral vintage" bridge, which has the strings sitting directly on threaded saddles. Would switching to, say, a Badass II bridge increase the sustain of my bass? And, would it significantly alter the tone? Thanks for any and all input!

2. Well.. er.. do you let notes ring out for more than 5 seconds at a time?

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Switching to a BA will affect your tone, adding punch, and whether that's a plus or not is up to you, and the added mass will probably give you more sustain, but do you really need more? How long are you needing to hold a note?

4. I don't think the BA adds punch... IME, it adds sustain and a brightness at the expense of some of the "thump" and low end of the stock bridge.

5. I've added a Badass II to my Squire. I have noticed an improvement in sustain. I can't say for tone (since its tone ain't that great anyway! lol).

6. I'm not a big fan of the Baddass bridge. It came on my Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I thought it was nice at first, but then the chrome plating started flaking off, making it look real cheap! ( <- anyone else experienced this?!)

And I got the Geddy Lee because it's a 75 style Jazz bass, but when I A-B'd it to other Jazz Basses, a real 75, and a re-issue, both with standard bridges, I noticed a minor improvement at best over the re-issue, but the real 75 blew doors over it. Of course it's a vintage bass, aged, blah blah and all that, but still!

And the minor improvement over the re-issue was not enough to really sell me on it.

Personally, if I had a regular bridge I wouldn't upgrade.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Not to mention the hideous departure from the classic looks of the stock bridge.