Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bridge Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by opivy3056, Oct 14, 2004.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to upgrade the pickups on my mexican Fender jazz bass but I cant afford a set. Would it be worth it just to replace the bridge pickup and then eventually replace the neck pickup? I only use the neck pickup when in combination with the bridge for the humbucking effect, my thoughts were that if I could get a humbucking bridge pickup it would suit my tastes for the time being. Could I have 2 different pickups? If so, what kind should I get? (sd, emg, bart) I'm looking for a growly punchy tone with more output and less noise than the stock pickup :)

thanks

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You might be able to get by with just a bridge but you could run into an impedance or hum issue in doing so that may not be an issue in buying a matched set. Also, Fender, Barts, and EMG's are really all different animals even though I think they're all good pups - depends on what you want.

It's not difficult to get a decent set of pups for $50 shipped if you keep a watch on Talkbass classifieds and ebay. And for that, you could probably list them on talkbass and ebay and get your money back if you don't like them. For that matter, you can often pick up the same set for closer to $30. Personally, I'd stick with a set as, aside for the issues aforementioned, it's more difficult to re-sell a single than a set.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I have a mexi jazz, and I added two Lindy Fralins ($170)

The sound is simply put: Awesome!

Save your money and get the GOOD pickups, like Fralins, duncan antiquities or some other vintage style pickup, like rio grande, aero or somthing like that!

Only spending 50 or so will get you pickups that sound like what you already have!

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Oops. I just re-read your post about no noise...that rules out a lot of the vintage. My fralins are very 60 cycle hum prone!

Perhaps EMG's, DiMarzio's or Fender noiseless!

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've bought at least 30 sets of pups used including Fralin, Ken Smith, MIA Fender, EMG, Bartolini, Celinder, Satus, SD, Dimarzio, among others and I have found no direct correlation between tone you'll get with a given bass/rigging and the price you pay. Pups that sound exceptional with one setup may be run of the mill with another. So far the pups I've liked the best cost me $40 or less shipped. I've seen new in the box Dimarzio Model J's go on ebay for $30 or less at least 3 times. I bought a bass off ebay that's one of my favorites that I still play that came with active EMG PJ's that I paid less than $130 shipped - and I sold the pups for almost half that.

Which is not to say you can't spend a lot of money and get a good set of pups - but it's not necessary. If money is hard to come, I would spend it wisely. In a way, you're in a good position. GAS without CASH is fairly benign.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Duncan SJB1's at $50 a set are a steal. That is about the used market price IMO. Single coils are going to be noisier than humbuckers. No humbucker that I've heard comes close to the J sound though... You wamt quieter from a MIM J ? Get a can of shielding paint or copper foil from Stemac and put your dollars there. That will help a lot when you upgrade the pup's as well. The MIM's are great players but the shielding on them isn't so hot if it exists at all ...