new bridge string spacing.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 23, 2002.

1. how should i measure the distance from string to string?
    dont you measure from the center of each string to the next??? if so i come in right under the line @16mm
    im looking to buy a new bridge for my 5 string and looking at the Schaller 496 at

it says it has adjustable spacing from 15.8mm - 17mm string pitch...(that means spacing right???)

thanks a lot you peeps... you have been really helpful in my quest of ultimate bass know it all....... to bad that when i go to sleep i forget it all!!!
  2. in general the string spacing is measured centre to centre. and yes that's what pitch is.

some people i've seen have the measurement between outside edges of strings consistent. that way the spaces between strings are the same no matter what string thicknesses are being used.

i don't know if any manufacturers measure that way, though. well, if it's adjustable, you can set it that way anyway. it's up to you. you may have to change the nut as well, though.