1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New bridge won't intonate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Punisher Bass, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    I've spent the last several months rebuilding my old Peavey Mileston IV, and one of the upgrades I did was a new Hipshot B bridge.

The thread covering the build is here, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510175

I placed the back of the new bridge in line with the back of the old one when I drilled the holes. I figured this would get me in the ballpark. Well now that it's all together and I've tried to set it up, it will not intonate correctly. I've slid the saddles back as far as they will go and it's still showing me to be a sharp by a good deal.

Will moving the bridge back 1/4 of an inch or so allow me to correctly set it up, or do I need to take measurements like I should have done the first time around. If it's the latter exactly what and where do I need to measure to find the correct location? This is a 34 scale by the way.

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Two questions come to mind. What is the distance from F12 to the center of the saddle travel? What is the range of travel for the saddles? Generally speaking, set the bridge at 17 1/4" from the twelfth fret to the center of the saddle travel. If the bridge positioning is correct, the problem is somewhere else.

3. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    The bridge is a Hipshot A, not B, I hit the wrong key this morning. Assuming I measured in the right spot, it looks like there's roughly 16 7/8 or 3/4 from the 12th fret to the middle of saddle travel. And the saddles are 1/2 long with 1 inch of space to travel in.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You probably figured it out already, but using the back edges of the bridges was the wrong idea. Instead, you needed to mark the location of the saddles from the old bridge, and line up the saddles of the new bridge (with room to move both forward and back) with those points, and drill/attach accordingly.