New Bridge????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frank84, Mar 19, 2006.

1. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    Hello folks.

quick question about bridge...

What kind of benefit will I get when I change my bridge.

Right now I have, Fender MIJ Jazz

i am just curious..

2. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    am I on a wrong forum with this topic?
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The main reason I could justify you changing the stock bridge would be to go to a top load bridge and maybe one that has adjustable string spacing. I despise having to feed the strings thru the rear of a bridge and it's also nice to be able make small adjustments to the string spacing (especially if the G string is too close to the edge of the fingerboard). If you don't desire those features, there's nothing really wrong with the stock bridge.
  4. frank84

Nov 9, 2005
    my stock bridge already let the string go through the rear of the bridge..

what are the good names or examples of after market bridges??
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Badass, Schaller, Hipshot, Kahler, and Gotoh are probably the best known. However, I have never heard a single bit of difference in the tone of the bass when I changed out a bridge. Therefore, I feel it's a useless mod. Others may disagree, but I don't care. Plus modding a Fender, even a Japanese Fender, will not be good for its resale value.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're looking for a drop in replacement, you're looking at either a Gotoh 201, Hipshot Vintage style bridge, or Leo Quan Badass II. Other bridges are available but won't be a drop in replacement.
  7. I agree 100%.
  8. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    A high mass bridge will give you more overtones and slightly better sustain. I put a BA II on my pbas and it made a significant difference to the sound in the mix. My low E would get lost in the mix (2 heavy-handed guitarists). Putting the BAII on made the bass usable again. Oddly enough, I noticed the difference more in the mix than stand-alone. If you are looking for old school thump, keep the original, if a slightly more modern sound, go with a bridge that is a direct replacement so you can go back if you decide you don't like it.