1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by asherthemachine, Jan 5, 2007.

1. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    so i play a '75 gibson grabber, but the bridge is all rusted and isnt the best. ive looked into replacements, but dont know much about bridges anyways, so i was wondering.... what a good 4-string replacement bridge for indie rock? anything specific i should look for? suggestions of specific ones would be nice. thanks:bassist:

2. J-wall

J-wall

Sep 7, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    There is one currently on e-Bay (a Grabber) that has been modified with a BA-II, and the seller says it is a great improvement (I am in no way associated with the auction). From other pictures I could find, it appears that the bridge is smaller and under a cover. To go the BA-II route, you might want a professional install. I happen to play in church and having the word "BADASS" on my bass was going to be more trouble than it was worth, so I did the following:

I replaced the bridge on my MIM Precision with a Gotoh 201 that I ordered from Warmoth (Cheapest I have seen it new-$30 plus S&H). In the Fender world, some people feel that the end result is similar tonally between the two bridges (201 & BA-II). There have been a few comments that due to the base plate of the 201 being thicker than the stock Fender leads to a higher action, and at first I noticed this. However, with the truss rod, I was able to get it to be where I wanted it (bridge saddles are pretty much all the way down). It may not be a direct replacement either, but there may not be one. Good Luck!

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Moved to setup.