Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Brubaker 6... He's back

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    :D I'll be picking this up in the next couple of days. Blackburst finish, Chambered Ash body, Spalted Maple top, black Birsdseye Maple fretboard, Bartolini quadcoils with Bart NTMB 3 band EQ.

:hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Absolutely unique and beautiful!!! :eek:

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Looks great, Brad. Congrats. Looking forward to your observations after you get it and put it to work! :cool:

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    very cool. I trust you got a great deal on it ;)

never played a Brubaker before, I know you like 'em alot...what sets Brubaker apart as compared to other bass-makers. Not neccessarily asking whether Brubakers are *BETTER*, just asking what aspects give those basses their own distinct flavor?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Brad, there's a big coffee stain on your bass! ;)

Really unique stuff-I love the fretboard! You have to get one of the neon green ones next.

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Wow. It's probably time for you to just give me a couple of your old basses as you just have too many really cool ones.

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Nice bass and great to see Kevin back on his feet!

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    You have far too many basses.. You should sell me you MTD635

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Very cool looking bass. Everything seems top notch.

10. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    very nice!

black birdseye... where does it come from?

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I imagine the black is an applied stain.

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Damn you Brad :D

Seriously, that thing is awesome. Congrats!

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow.

Just.... wow.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks cool. Kevin seems to be one of the few that does something both unique yet nice looking. No idea how they play or sound though as I have not had the pleasure to play one. I did see them at NAMM though.

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    nice to see fresh work from kevin!

any back pic?

peace,
    jp

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1 on both!

(Though I think a different top might have looked even better on it... but its still nice)

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thanks, everyone. He sent pics this morning so I figured I'd throw them out here. I'll take more pics when I get it home.

The fretboard is stained black. I really like Ash basses with Maple boards and this was an opportunity to do something a bit different visually (Kevin's idea). The same goes for the blackburst finish (Kevin's idea)... the last we discussed the backs of the body and neck would both be burst finishes.

The body joint on the upper side of the neck extends a bit further than on my other singlecuts Brubakers and I believe the lower horn may be a bit deeper too.

The weight has been reduced by removing some wood in the Ash body. I didn't see how much but I noticed an appreciable difference between it and another heavier Ash 6 he built. The heaver weight didn't bother me at all and the sound was exactly what I wanted.

What sets them apart IMO is the "size" of the sound. Hs basses just sound BIG. They just naturally sound upfront in the mix without being obnoxious. Excellent string to string response, excellent playabilty, simple but highly versatile electronics package.. I can repeatedly dial in exactly what I want, from a midrangey super punchy (with serious bottom) Jaco vibe to a harder hitting Rocco thang to fingerstyle P bass-esque thick finger sound to a swelling legato vibe to massive slap sound to a Mark King slap sound to a Marcus Miller slap, all moving a lot of air, all as articulate as I want. It's the right combination of the best aspects of hi-fi and lo-fi instruments... fidelity with tons of character.

Heck, they're just big fun to play. Almost as much fun to listen to others play.

Great fretwork, easily gets the lower action I want and stays there, well-balanced with a slick but very solid feel. Effortless to play and if you like to control things with your hands like I do it's extremely rewarding.

I've had my first Brubaker (that funkcarnivore used to own) for a couple of years now and I took it on a gig earlier in the week and it still makes me grin.

Aesthetically he just has a great eye for wood IMO. For example I've seen a ton of other Spalted basses but nothing that really come together like his. He takes chances I would never think of taking and they typically come out great... that's why I trust him. He consistently does the best finish work I've ever seen on an instrument.

Then there are the intangibles;)

:hyper:

18. I love that neck. That is an extremely beautiful guitar.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Hell with that, Brad, you have too many basses. You should GIVE me one (of my choice, I'm thinkin' the fretless Elrick NJS hollowbody :D).

:smug:

....hey, lsu921, I used to live across the river from ya, on College Dr. just north of I-10...how's things in Lousy-ana?

20. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Gard.. Everything is fine down here... Hot... Humid.. but LSU won the National Championship, so everything is just fine! You must miss the food.. I don't think I could live anywhere else. I would miss the food too much.

What good used high end basses do you have right now? Tobias, Roscoe, MTD.. I need a good 5'er.