Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW BRUBAKER KB-5 EXTREME

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drjudd, Oct 28, 2002.

1. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Well..........It's been a long wait, but the results were stunning.
    See attached my new Brubaker KB-5 'Extreme' that just came in the mail.
    I am at a loss for words to describe this bass. It is my second Brubaker, the first being a 6 string.
    I was soooo in love with the first that I contacted Kevin and ordered up another, but I left it up to him how to deck it out.
    For those of you that have been to Kevins web site, you will notice that this 5 string looks real familiar to a guitar on his site. I think everyone who loves guitars drowled over the custom 'Nine Yards' extreme guitar Kevin was commissioned to make and I was one of them. I asked him only 3 things, could you make me a 'brother/sister' to that guitar in a bass? Can it be the same wood? Can I have an "f " hole ? (haven't we all asked that last one at least once in our lives?)
    What Kevin came up with in my opinion surpasses the original 'Nine Yards' guitar. I promise more photos later, but here are some details:
    -001 serial number of new KB body in a five string
    -AAAAA tiger paw one piece top w/matching fretb
    -Quad coil pickups
    -the most unreal friggin' 'SPLIT FRETTBOARD' ebony/matched maple. Kevin is the only one doing this.
    -unreal tone and sustain, (we all know this)
    -the most superb craftmanship I have ever seen.

Need I go on??? Just ogle the pics.
    Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
    Esta from Guam,

DrJudd

2. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    How embarrassing................
    Being that I live on a remote pacific island and we have only recently embraced technology, I couldn't figure out how to add another pic to the original post, so I use the reply..........my apologies.
    But give us a break, up until the year 2000 we were still running around nekid like in 'blue lagoon'.
    We have graduated to banana leaves now, mine is from the manila banana, a small tiny banana thattt.................oh, too much information.
    Here is another pic, this if of the headstock and tuners. Enjoy.
    DrJudd

3. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    That's a great looking bass ya got there. I LOVE
    the tiger paw top!! I am only 4 hours from his shop.
    I might have to ask Kevin if I can come up and
    check them out.

Dan

4. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Dan,
    You are extremely lucky if you live that close. I am half a world away but thanks to email and 'paypal' Kevin and I struck an awesome deal and I am so proud of the results. I would love to see his shop especially at this time of year as the season is changing. We have only 2 seasons here: hot/wet and hot/dry.
    I apologize for the quality of the pics, but my business is keeping me busy and then I play all night. If you see Kevin, drop my name for me. If you forget my name, just remind him of the 'extreme kb5' from Guam.........I think he will remember that.
    Esta,
    drjudd

5. WOW.

6. WORD!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Niiiiiice

8. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Holy beautiful bass Batman!!!

Damn what is it with all of these riduculous basses people around here keep getting?! Stop it please you're killing me! ;) :D

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think I like this one too

10. Bitchin'.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WOW!

Coolest Brubaker Ive ever seen!

Peace
    Nick

12. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Tre Sweet!!!

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    weird, i'v never seen a Brubaker with pickups before.

[​IMG]

:D

NICE PIECE!!! CONGRATS!!!

f

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, I've been waiting to here about your bass;)

I live about an hour away;). The leaves have turned and it looks pretty spectacular around here. I also went with him last week to a wood supplier he works with who owns what he jokingly refers to as "The Spalted Forest".

I saw your bass as it was being built, that fretboard looks pretty wild IRL. Great bass. Wait til you see mine:D

15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    :: Drools all over keyboard ::

I don't think I've ever seen such a goregeous fretboard. Meesa wants. :D

16. I'm almost in love now. And I don't even like quilted maple that much...

Congratulations and enjoy!

17. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Brad Johnson wrote: "I live about an hour away. The leaves have turned and it looks pretty spectacular around here. I also went with him last week to a wood supplier he works with who owns what he jokingly refers to as "The Spalted Forest"."

Brad,

Just make sure you bring enough beef jerky to feed the BEARS in the forest. *see kevins latest web page entry*

Wow, I am blown away with the responses to my post. But I owe it all to KEVIN BRUBAKER and I vow it will be my daily mission to make him grand pooba of all guitar makers until my dying day.

For those who want to know the date..............stay tuned.

Brad, I forgive you for peeking @ my baby before I even saw it. I just HOPE YOU DIDN'T TOUCH IT.
    :mad: :cool: ;) :)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Touch it? Of course not. We all just watched it in the glass compartment in the back of the shop as it gestated from a tiny acorn:D

IIRC your fretboard was loaded with birdseyes.

Adrian Garcia hipped me to the wood guy (Ben), who I in turn told Kevin about, who has since found lots of cool wood. If it weren't for TB my new one wouldn't come out like it is.

Ben has some funny bear stories. He also has loads of crazy looking Spalted Maple, among other things, from his property. Cool guy.

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    one thing i've noticed about the 3 brubakers i've played is how very loud they are unplugged.

even louder when played.

nice nice nice.

f

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Pssst....

...drjudd...

....I touched it!

:p

;)

:D

Wow is an understatement, amazing instrument, beautiful too hear and play as well as look at. Mr. Brubaker makes an incredible instrument in every way.